Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper pieced batik wall hanging

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    PS if you do check out the Siciliano site - be sure to read the comment under the quilt entitled Crop Circles! Bearing in mind the discussions we often have on here about non quilters sometimes not understanding the value of our work! :shock: :lol:
    Hah, I looked at his site and was totally amazed. Can you imagine all those seam allowances built up under all those edges? I made an 8 section circle PP for the current quilt in progress, used poly thread to stitch it together and 1/8" seam allowances and thought that was thick. My circle was 9" diam. finished and 218 pieces.
    As to your comment above - I've found if people ask you how long it took to make, they aren't quilters and really have no idea the number of hours we take for our craft.

Oh I love that. It's beautiful. If you get tired of it, I have space on my walls. :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. FWL? is there a reason you used poly thread? Just wondering. I always piece with YLI 60 wt, which is really thin and strong.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is beautimus! So, is that it's name: Persnickety Precision? (Say that 5 times real fast!)

I really like how the colors flow together. Makes me want to get out my batiks and play.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    It is beautimus! So, is that it's name: Persnickety Precision? (Say that 5 times real fast!)
    Well, nearly! In British speak there's no 's' so it's Pernickety Precision or, to give it it's full name, 'Paper Pieced Pernickety Precision'. :mrgreen: But you can call it 4Ps if you like! :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, nearly! In British speak there's no 's' so it's Pernickety Precision or, to give it it's full name, 'Paper Pieced Pernickety Precision'. :mrgreen: But you can call it 4Ps if you like! :lol:

OK, so what you are telling me is that YOU are PERNICKETY, but I am PERSNICKETY!! Right!? :lol: :-P

BTW, I'm making sunflower petals as fast as I can!! :P

Thanks everyone. FWL? is there a reason you used poly thread? Just wondering. I always piece with YLI 60 wt, which is really thin and strong.
    I read in a book for making miniature quilts, to use poly thread and a size 9 needle (which has a quite small eye) and use an 1/8" seam allowance.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    I read in a book for making miniature quilts, to use poly thread and a size 9 needle (which has a quite small eye) and use an 1/8" seam allowance.
    But no explanation as to why? Interesting. I guess there's a school of thought that poly is stronger but if you use a good quality, long staple cotton I don't believe this is the case. I use my 75/11 needle that I use for regular piecing and I don't seem to have any problems. Maybe when I get into even tinier pieces I need to do more research. It would be interesting to know what Siciliano uses. :-D

BTW I'd love to see a pic of the PP circle you mentioned. :-D

this right here is precisely what the mouse is missing out on having no pc! I protest!
    K, saw that you are packing...uh...taking a vaca?
    I need to keep tabs on you girlfriend. ;)

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    What a beauty K!!!! I love what you have created with this one!! You always do such wonderful unusual quilts!!

k3n
    I looked in that book and it said to use a size 9 needle w/ 60 wt. poly thread because it's very fine and doesn't add bulk to the seam. It's also strong and won't stretch when tearing off the paper. Strong, smooth 50 or 60 wt. cotton thread is fine too. The red star has 1/8" seam allowances and finished shapes of 1/4" across or less. Because of all the points, I had places where the seam allowances were piled up on top of each other. That's when I decided that the last 2 stars, which would be smaller in diameter, needed to be fused - not pp. So here's the red star which is 9" diameter. The orange one is 13" diameter.

red 8 sectioned star = 216 pieces in a whole circle
    Name:  Attachment-88662.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  101.5 KB

orange 8 sectioned star
    Name:  Attachment-88663.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  110.2 KB

Great stars fireworkslover - a real explosion of colour!

Thanks. It is an explosion of color, since there's 8 stars, each a different color: all the primary and secondary colors plus pink and turquoise.

Fireworkslover - lovely work - love the orange star particularly. Please post the whole quilt when you've finished.

K.that orange black looks like it is motion...it is absolutely beautiful.....love your pp...........

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Wowzers FWL, those are beautiful!!! I love them both but especially the orange I must say. Thanks for checking the book - I'll stick with my YLI then since I use it for all piecing! I'm playing with some designs in EQ at the moment with pieces as tiny as I dare and currently doing a twisted log cabin with wedges tapering to a point. I'm trimming somewhere near 1/8" - you have to or the seam protrudes into the next piece. The red star, as it's quilted I guess it's in a finished piece? Can we see more? And whilst I don't mind at all that you posted here (after all, I ASKED you too! LOL) I think you should put those up on there own thread so more ppl can see them. :-D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Just looked again and noticed the basting pins so I'm guessing you're still quilting it. Duh! Sorry, was so taken up by the star, didn't look round the edges!

Just looked again and noticed the basting pins so I'm guessing you're still quilting it. Duh! Sorry, was so taken up by the star, didn't look round the edges!
    Yes, it's still under construction. The whole thing is in 4 sections, because was too large to do all in one piece, so I'm quilting it in sections, then sew them together and finish off the fmq over those seams. The orange star has yet to be fmq. That's happening today. The orange and yellow stars are in the same 1/4 section.
    I will post them on their own topic, soon.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Look forward to it. :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    Yes, it's still under construction. The whole thing is in 4 sections, because was too large to do all in one piece, so I'm quilting it in sections, then sew them together and finish off the fmq over those seams. The orange star has yet to be fmq. That's happening today. The orange and yellow stars are in the same 1/4 section.
    I will post them on their own topic, soon.
    I love your stars! So intricate and beautiful!

That is absolutely beautiful.

wow, stunning.

beautiful job - great colors and love the quilting!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast