Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders? >

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 AM

Drop in at your local thrift stores and even the Tuesday Morning store which is now handling quilt patches. Use the good part of cotton blouses you no longer wear or shirts from the thrift store you can get for peanuts. In that way you will be joining the pioneer women and those who know how to find fabric and save your money. Sale bed linens and clothing are always a good source and let us know, we all could send you scraps or pieces of fabric.
You don't need a border on any quilt. If you use the method to finish a quilt when you sew the three parts together and leave a space to turn it right side out, a border isn't needed. I use a strip around some of mine just to make it stronger on the edges for a binding but have done many like yours, without it.
Love your quilt, will copy the pattern and use it, I sew
small squares for our church quilt project and yours would be a perfect choice for a pattern. Keep up the good work and you will be famous one day.

Carol J.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by emmamarie
I think your quilt is beautiful.if you don't want a border you don't have to use one I would sew around the out side edge before you put the binding on.I love the pattern.if it's not illegal I will send you scrapes for a copy of the pattern.really all I need is the size of the squares and a drawing of the white blocks.my dh just looked over my shoulder and says he likes your quilt too!!emmamarie
another way to get fabric is buying charm squares.connecting threads has a good price on them.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 AM

Love the quilt the way it is.....beautiful work
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 AM

I've done a few quilts with no borders. It just depends on the look you're going for. If you like the look without, you don't have to add borders.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 AM

beautiful. your piecing is excellent. I would border the edge. Just to give the quilt that finished look. and to add stability to your pieced edges. as far as scraps...you could buy 1/8 in cuts, fat quarters...or quilters here are always offering up scraps for the price of postage. good luck. your quilt came out beautiful.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Beautiful quilt! You did a great job. As for borders, I agree with what everyone else says. It's a matter of preference. I use borders when I am a little small on size and am trying to get to a certain size. Otherwise, no borders for me.

As for scraps, you could post an ISO bulletin here. I've been the person in line with 30 bolts of fabric getting 1/4 yd of each when I want variety. I don't have much stash. You can buy fat quarters or charms, I often do when I see them on sale. But a 1/4 yd or 1/2 yd is the most cost effective.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. I too love scrappy quilts and I usually do not put borders on them - they are so busy I just like to bind them. For me this feels best, but you do what you like. As for fabric , try buying fat quarters. Fat quarters are readily available and you can buy a wide variety. Again, your quilt is terrific.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 AM

AWESOME! Great job! I just know you had a ton of fun putting that one together! :)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:38 AM

I personally like even a small border in a dark color. Your quilt is a work of art, most art work is matted and then framed to highlight the intrical colors inside the border/frame. As others have said not having a border is a personal preference - but try putting a darker color (layng it underneath) and then step back around the edges and see if your work doesn't pop! A dark binding helps too but they aren't quite wide enough.
It is a lovely quilt and if you would like some assorted scraps pm me, I have some waiting for a good home like yours :)