Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders? >

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 AM

could even layer it right sides in and sew like a pillow case and then there would be no borders, i have done that on a lot of them , i cant quilt so i tie mine, they are just as nice as the others, yes a lot will dissagree with that , but it is for me thank you, i love looking at the quilts on here
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM

A gorgeous scrappy quilt. Before offering my suggestion for obtaining scraps I will admit that I have not read all 8 pages of comments. For a fairly inexpensive way to get
"Scraps" you could go to Connecting Threads website and order Charm Packs from every line that they have. You would have a lot of variety in just 5" squares at an extremely reasonable price. Of course, that would limit the type of scrappy quilt that you could make since you would only have 5" squares. Here's the website:

http://quilting-fabric.connectingthr...=charm%20packs

Also, if you spend over $50, you get free shipping. If the above link does not work, just goggle "Connecting Threads". When on the Connecting Threads website then search for Charm Packs.

Other alternatives would be Layer Cakes, Fat Eights, Fat Quarters and even Jelly Rolls.

A "note" on adding a border. If you add a border the whole quilt will then look more like the border color. For example, if you add a blue border, you then get the impression that you have a blue quilt, even if you only have a few pieces of blue in the quilt.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

To build a scrap stash, why not check out the clearance on connectingthreads.com? I just purchased a beautiful set of fat eight's called Sweet Rememberence for a little over $8.00 for 20 different fat eight's. They had other collections in clearance also.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 AM

I love scrappy qults and especially yours. I agree, it takes a loooong time to cut the squares and have a good variety.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM

That's a lovely quilt! I guess you know what colors your DH likes now, should you ever decide to make a quilt for him. My husband on the other hand wants me to make him a quilt from old, Army, khaki pants. He even went so far as to cut up all the legs for me. Somehow I can't make myself get started on it yet since there are so many other beautiful fabrics to make quilts from. Cutting up clothing is a good way to garner some scraps though so get out there and hit the garage sales whenever you can. In my area garage sale clothing is much less expensive than even that at the Goodwill and Thrift shop!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 PM
C.

Hi Karen, That is beautiful!!!! Really doesn't need a border. A white binding would look wonderful. I make a lot of scrappy quilts but have never seen one like yours. Where did you get the pattern as I would like to get it. You did a great job on it. C.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM

I know where all those places are - Thank You for telling me what that bin was for at Tiny Stitches, as I have wondered about it, but felt kinda "dumb" if I asked what it was for.
I will definitely try tofind that site you spoke of on folding material for the baggie.

Karen

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
Karen! Hi Neighbor! I'm in Woodstock and I shop at Little Quilts, Red Hen, and Tiny Stitches. I don't know about RH and TS but Little Quilts has a scrap basket in the sale section. They give you a zip-top bag and you shove all the scraps you like in that bag. So long as you can close it you buy it for just $5!!! I got a ton in that little bag by folding and rolling the scraps and then stuff, stuff, stuff. (for a tutorial on this watch 'Being There' with Peter Sellers, he uses the same technique to pack his suitcase ;-) and now I do too, cuts down on wrinkling and makes room for more in the case) I'm a newbie (just started this year) so had only the scraps leftover from my 2nd Saturday blocks at Little Quilts so this was a great jump start for my scrap collection.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I LOVE your first scrappy. Don't you love the length of time your eye takes to look at all the different fabrics in it? Well done. I have made a couple of quilts without borders so do what feels right for you. I buy fabric I like in fat quarters over time which are great for scrap quilts. Also If you buy for another project just buy a wee bit more - then when you make a quilt from scraps you have used on other projects it give lots of meaning to you when you look at it as you remember the one you made for Aunty Betty etc. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM

That is so great. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 PM

I love you quilt just the way it is. I took a picture to inspire me later. Thanks for sharing.