Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders? >

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Love your scrappy! If it were mine, I'd leave the borders off. I've done a few that way.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 AM

I think your quilt looks terrific without a border. Sometimes a border just looks like too much and doesn't really add to the look of the overall quilt. You did a wonderful job on it.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM
TMK

Originally Posted by karensue
Hello Ladies

I just finished my very first scrappy quilt. It was fun but lots of piecing (finished 50 x 70). And I had to use a friends' scraps since I don't have any - I'm afraid that I only buy enough material, if that, for a specific quilt - not much left over.

Since everyone always wants to know the information on a photo, I will give that info first, and then ask my questions. It came from:
Quilts From the Heart
Karin Renaud
Pattern: Arkansas Crossroads

1) I was wondering if you have to put a border on (maybe it serves a purpose) ?? I like it the way it is but have never really seen a quilt without a border. Any suggestionson on this?

2) I now would like to do another scrappy and don't know how to go about purchasing material. Like I said I don't have any "scraps" and had spent all day with a friend cutting up hers for my quilt. Since she was so kind I would never ask her again to help me out for my next scrappy quilt. But now, how do I proceed to get material to do another one. The biggest scraps we used were 3 inches wide, so do I buy small yardage of lots of material (I am imagining the look on cutting girls' face if I do this), but really want to do another one. How do I buy fabric for a scrappy quit?

On another note - good and bad. I've been quilting for 4 years (still a beginner), and until last night my husband has only told me ONCE that he liked my quilt. Last night he liked this one, and said the colors are great, nice and bright. So I guess that was the good part, but the bad part is that I guess I don' pick the right colors myself.

I'm still learnng but would love to hear your suggestions.
Thank You
Karen
Marietta, Georgia
Karen, I just finished the same pattern last weekend - took it off the quilting frame. Binding is left. This was a Guild workshop last February. I started going through what left overs I had and made great headway on what I had. However, for more variety I got on e-bay and purchased 2.5 squares already cut. Very reasonable prices and I didn't have to spend hours cutting them all out and ended up with a nice variety. So my suggestion is to start there. Just type in "quilting squares" and you will be suprised at what you find. Good luck. I attached a photo of my quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237368.jpe   attachment-237369.jpe  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Karen,
This is a beautiful quilt. It will look great without a border. I did not put borders on my first quilt and still have it - 40 years later - and am just as pleased with it now as I was when I finished it!
Enjoy! :thumbup:
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM

I don't think this quilt really needs a border. It is a wonderful quilt!!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Very beautiful. As for scrapes most stores have a remement bin. You can buy many different colors and prints and make your own scraps.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Love the quilt.
Great work.
J J
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM

I have trouble getting rid of my scraps so would happily share with you. Let me know where to send them.

I have been quilting for more than 25 years and swear the scraps multiply in the closet! The more scrappy quilts I make the more scraps I have. Strange but true. Does anyone else have a "magic closet" like mine? Amazing facts about quilter's closets.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM

That is beautiful! As for a border, it is just what you like. Lay some fabric out to act as a border on part of the quilt. Then, take a picture showing part with and part without the border. Load the pic on your computer and look at it throughout the day and see which side appeals to you more. Or you can lay it on the floor and look at it throughout the day.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:10 AM

E-bay usually has listings for 2" squares and charm packs. Usually the 2" squares advertise that no two are alike. Beautiful quilt!