Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Persevering >

Persevering

Persevering

Old 01-11-2023, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Free pattern is here, for those interested. https://www.artgalleryfabrics.com/pr...e%20Awaits.pdf

I'm surprised by your statement that the triangle is not equilateral. It sure looks equilateral in the pattern.
I agree. It's cleverly made up of equilateral triangles, all the same size. It's a really cute pattern. Instead of a paper template that has to be taped together, I would have liked to see directions for cutting the triangles using fabric strips and a 60 degree ruler, the same way OBW (One Block Wonder) patterns are written.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree. It's cleverly made up of equilateral triangles, all the same size. It's a really cute pattern. Instead of a paper template that has to be taped together, I would have liked to see directions for cutting the triangles using fabric strips and a 60 degree ruler, the same way OBW (One Block Wonder) patterns are written.
The angle is ~51’, not 60’. It’s not equilateral. I thought it was and merrily got out my 60’angle template. Checked it. It’s not 60’ angle. Mine is cut using the template in the pattern. It’s confusing to be sure the 51’ angle is at the correct corner, it’s just too close to 60’. Confusing. So I’d choose down to 45. Up to 60 would also work. There is a 45’ angle plastic template like the 60’ template. I did use fabric strips cut 4.5 inches, that way there were 2 in each 1/4 yd fabric which is 9 inches. I’m all about efficiency. That’s why I said don’t wash it. The amount of fabric that frays in washing is essential to cutting 2 4.5” strips from 1/4 (9inch) strip.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
The angle is ~51’, not 60’. It’s not equilateral. I thought it was and merrily got out my 60’angle template. Checked it. It’s not 60’ angle. Mine is cut using the template in the pattern. It’s confusing to be sure the 51’ angle is at the correct corner, it’s just too close to 60’. Confusing. So I’d choose down to 45. Up to 60 would also work. There is a 45’ angle plastic template like the 60’ template. I did use fabric strips cut 4.5 inches, that way there were 2 in each 1/4 yd fabric which is 9 inches. I’m all about efficiency. That’s why I said don’t wash it. The amount of fabric that frays in washing is essential to cutting 2 4.5” strips from 1/4 (9inch) strip.
I printed out the template and measured it and you're completely right - it isn't 60 degrees. But looking at the rest of the quilt design, it's clear that it should be. It's also easy to cut a bunch of 60 degree (equilateral) triangles with no wasted fabric. It's too bad that you started cutting with a bad template, but I'm impressed that you managed to salvage the project.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:43 PM

Today, Shark tried to eat some pieces that fell on floor and migrated under a cabinet. Hubby threw them in trash. NOOO!

As to the angle, making it 60 makes the motif’s more squat. I’m calling them rocket 🚀 so I’d go to 45’.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:35 AM

Shark is still unhappy, reporting obstruction,”Clean out my dust bin.” Hope it recovers soon. The floors are getting dirty and robot is in state of unrest.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Shark is still unhappy, reporting obstruction,”Clean out my dust bin.” Hope it recovers soon. The floors are getting dirty and robot is in state of unrest.
And here I was thinking Shark was a dog.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:59 PM

The rows are pieced. Now to put them together for the top.

Shark found another fat 1/8th. I docked him for a rest. He came out later to play.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
And here I was thinking Shark was a dog.
Me too, I was so confused!!
Old 01-13-2023, 07:27 PM

I love the modern look of your quilt, but golly, that's a lot of 60 degree triangles. The pattern is very interesting.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:16 PM

eb0af517-b899-4b4b-b9b8-b980e4d8f3d2.jpeg
here it is. Sewn, not pressed or trimmed.