Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate" >

Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate"

Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate"

Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Eddie, how do you attach your bindings? Your second picture shows the back up close and it looks to me that you might have machine sewn them. Do you?
Hi, MJ. Yes, I do machine sew all of my bindings on. I use a double fold binding that I stitch the raw edges down to the front of the quilt, then wrap it around to the back and stitch-in-the-ditch just inside the binding on the front so that the thread just catches the binding on the back. It sure makes for a quick and easy binding.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Eddy! I figured this out!
Have you ever heard of Mary Ellen Hopkins? She has a pretty relaxed mental attitude about piecing, and her quilts are beautiful.
bummer ... I just realized it wouldn't work.
But, I will explain what I started to say. You put a quilt together by putting patch to patch .... then two patches to two patches, matching the middle seam .... then, you sew the four patches together two at a time, always making sure that any excess is going toward the outer part of the quilt.
I can see with your strip quilting, it doesn't quite work so well, because you were matching five seams to five seams and if number three strip doesn't match the other three strip ... it all goes to pieces.
But, theories are fun to discuss, eh? LOL
Anyway ... since I understand you didn't like some of the fabrics and the process was frustrated by factory cut edges that aren't as accurate as you can create with your own ruler and rotary cutter ... I will leave you to admire the terrific results (well-loved by all who see it)
I must be in mommy mode because I was just thinking about how everyone oohs and aahs about the brandy new baby, and forget the labor that got him here <g>
So, now my next question is! forgetting the wonky and not so fun colors you didn't like, do you think you will be making another one any time soon?
It looks sort of like a double Irish chain ... catch you later <wave>
I think that if I did make another one of this pattern, that I wouldn't do it with jelly roll strips that are the full length, I would at least cut them in half or maybe even quarters to try to prevent some of that bowing effect.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM

You are correct ... at least <g> Eleanor Burns recommends cutting the length down, and others have recommended the same thing for just that bowing issue.
Personally, I have found that if I am working with fat quarters, it doesn't seem to be an issue, so I suppose I have proved it ... but, if I cut the width of the fat quarter, versus length, the bowing is even less ...
apparently, those who have recommended that we cut parallel to the selvedge know a bit about what they are talking about.
I resisted cutting the lengths of the full s to s strips down for many years, but looking back, it has never worked out well, UNLESS ... you sew from one end at the first set and the opposite end on the next strip ... well, yeah... as though I can remember which end is which! LOL too much to think about ...
and, another advantage of cutting down the length is that you can make your strips sets even scrappier ...
I am glad that you are planning on how to overcome the setbacks, shortcomings ... evidence of an engineer.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:07 AM

Eddy! EDDDYYYY!
I just figured somethin' out!
Look at your nickel from the shop ... measure from the tip to the other side of the nickel ... five inches....
measure one side from pinking tip to center 2.5 inches .... don't mind the other side ...
now, turn the nickel 180 degrees ... so the other side is under your ruler ... measure from the tip to the center ... 2.5 inches, right?
right????
right????????????????????
I'm sure I am correct!! the nickel from pinked tip to pinked tip is five inches ... don't try to find the center because the tips are usually opposite a valley ... see what I mean?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:09 PM

I see what you mean, but measuring straight across from peak to peak is like 5 and 1/16". And measuring straight across that jelly strip from peak to peak is like 2.5" + 1/16" as shown in the pic. Strange, I know, it drives me crazy, too. :shock:
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM

LOL
I am trying to control my brain paths, but sometimes, they just go out there! I was out feeding today when it came to me, so I ran into the bunkhouse and just HAD to share ... but, if it wasn't helpful ... bummer!

Okay, so I didn't run in ... just walked rapidly ... okay!?!? LOL
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by omak
LOL
I am trying to control my brain paths, but sometimes, they just go out there! I was out feeding today when it came to me, so I ran into the bunkhouse and just HAD to share ... but, if it wasn't helpful ... bummer!

Okay, so I didn't run in ... just walked rapidly ... okay!?!? LOL
LOL, well I DO appreciate that effort Omak! And yeah, some days my brain paths just go all kinds of ways and never the right ones! :D
Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 AM

Eddie, I can't find the thread where you said that you have only been quilting since May !!!!!!!!! WOW...what progress. Congrats.

I read also that you are thinking of PP....I could never get into it so I decided to take a class....still didn't get into it.........

butwhen I got back to Jersey for the summer, a quilting friend introduced me to the "add a quarter and the add an eighth" rulers.

They are wonderful....be sure to buy them as they are a big help. Below is one of the my PP piecing projects

Have a good day.....
MaryJane

single Komona Grace
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49590[/ATTACH]

triple Komona Grace
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49591[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49590.jpe   attachment-49591.jpe  
Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 AM

I'd love to be on your gift list if this is one of your quilts:) Very nice and very nicely quilted too!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM

This is the prettiest ugly quilt I've seen ;)