Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of my $2 Homemade Supreme Slider

I have been asked for pics from my post of a few days ago about "Getting in the FMQ" groove in the Main section of this board...Here are a few pics of my Joann's heavy gauge vinyl homemade supreme slider. I just cut around my extension table (round off corners I found are better). Then I just cut out the vinyl around my feeddogs. Viola...homemade slider. With a coupon I got about 1 yd of the heaviest gauge vinyl at Joann's for $5 and only used a small portion for this slider. To clean it I just run it under the faucet and let it drip dry. There is also a few pics of a quilt I finished earlier today doing FMQ. Pic 1 is the slider/vinyl on the bed. Pic 2 shows the cut out I made (not under the feeddogs. Pic 3 shows the cutout under the feeddogs. Pic 4 is a closeup of some FMQ ...pic 5 the entire wallhanging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.

Yes, I do disengage the feeddogs. I just wanted a large area for the needle. Thanks

Looks like you found a super way to make your FMQ easier!

Blog Entries
    Neat idea. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.
    What is FMQ
    :?:

Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I have been asked for pics from my post of a few days ago about "Getting in the FMQ" groove in the Main section of this board...Here are a few pics of my Joann's heavy gauge vinyl homemade supreme slider. I just cut around my extension table (round off corners I found are better). Then I just cut out the vinyl around my feeddogs. Viola...homemade slider. With a coupon I got about 1 yd of the heaviest gauge vinyl at Joann's for $5 and only used a small portion for this slider. To clean it I just run it under the faucet and let it drip dry. There is also a few pics of a quilt I finished earlier today doing FMQ. Pic 1 is the slider/vinyl on the bed. Pic 2 shows the cut out I made (not under the feeddogs. Pic 3 shows the cutout under the feeddogs. Pic 4 is a closeup of some FMQ ...pic 5 the entire wallhanging.
    Im curious what you used to fix it to the bed of your machine, did you use double stick tape or something like that? Thank you!

That is really clever! I am gonna give that a try!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarts2
    What is FMQ
    FMQ = Free Motion Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by cdarts2
    What is FMQ
    It stands for free motion quilting.

Some of us do FMQ with the feed dogs up.

Yes, some do feeddogs up some down. I do mine down. I use nothing to hold the vinyl in place. It just stays there as I am quilting.

I think it is fine just as it is. It needs whatever is best for you. Thanks for an awesome idea. Pay no attention to negative comments. You have been an inspiration to all of us with your great idea. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with all of us.

Also curious about how you attach the vinyl to the extension table. Do you use painters tape? Masking tape? I am so excited about using this. I am going tomorrow to purchase the vinyl

BTW, I think we have the same quilting machine (Babylock Quilter's Choice.)
    If my quilts come out 1/2 as good as yours, I will be psyched!!

I have never heard of 'sliders' but now that you have posted the picture, I understand why people use it. I am just now getting into FMQ, sort of scared of it. I go all over the place, need way more practice. Thanks for you pics, I will go to Joann's on Monday and buy some too.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt!!!

Blog Entries
    Is this the same heavier clear plastic that's used over tablecloths to keep them clean?

When we put together my Margarita McManus sewing table, it was covered with this heavy clear plastic...just cut out around the needle and feed dog space.

I LOVE it! Works great for what I do, but I've not learned to FMQ yet... just a beginner at quilting..

Thank you for the great tip! I'm hoping to try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ploverwi2
    I think it is fine just as it is. It needs whatever is best for you. Thanks for an awesome idea. Pay no attention to negative comments. You have been an inspiration to all of us with your great idea. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with all of us.
    What negative comments? LOL.

Thanks to all. Again...I use nothing to attach it...the vinyl just sits there...

I have some of that left from another project. Thanks for the tip!

Great idea and very cost effective. Love your quilt - the colors are wonderful. :thumbup:

smart girl

Thanks for the tip - always want to save money that I can better spend on fabric. Your quilt is wonderful and I love the colors!

Love the quilt!

Great tip, thank you for sharing with all of us! I'll try anything to help my FMQ look better... yours looks great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast