Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76

Thread: Pics of my $2 Homemade Supreme Slider

  1. #1
    Senior Member CAJAMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    600
    I have been asked for pics from my post of a few days ago about "Getting in the FMQ" groove in the Main section of this board...Here are a few pics of my Joann's heavy gauge vinyl homemade supreme slider. I just cut around my extension table (round off corners I found are better). Then I just cut out the vinyl around my feeddogs. Viola...homemade slider. With a coupon I got about 1 yd of the heaviest gauge vinyl at Joann's for $5 and only used a small portion for this slider. To clean it I just run it under the faucet and let it drip dry. There is also a few pics of a quilt I finished earlier today doing FMQ. Pic 1 is the slider/vinyl on the bed. Pic 2 shows the cut out I made (not under the feeddogs. Pic 3 shows the cutout under the feeddogs. Pic 4 is a closeup of some FMQ ...pic 5 the entire wallhanging.
    Attached Images Attached Images





  2. #2
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CAJAMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    600
    Yes, I do disengage the feeddogs. I just wanted a large area for the needle. Thanks

  4. #4
    Super Member oldswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,234
    Looks like you found a super way to make your FMQ easier!

  5. #5
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas DFW area
    Posts
    826
    Blog Entries
    1
    Neat idea. Thanks!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clovis, CA
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.
    What is FMQ
    :?:

  7. #7
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I have been asked for pics from my post of a few days ago about "Getting in the FMQ" groove in the Main section of this board...Here are a few pics of my Joann's heavy gauge vinyl homemade supreme slider. I just cut around my extension table (round off corners I found are better). Then I just cut out the vinyl around my feeddogs. Viola...homemade slider. With a coupon I got about 1 yd of the heaviest gauge vinyl at Joann's for $5 and only used a small portion for this slider. To clean it I just run it under the faucet and let it drip dry. There is also a few pics of a quilt I finished earlier today doing FMQ. Pic 1 is the slider/vinyl on the bed. Pic 2 shows the cut out I made (not under the feeddogs. Pic 3 shows the cutout under the feeddogs. Pic 4 is a closeup of some FMQ ...pic 5 the entire wallhanging.
    Im curious what you used to fix it to the bed of your machine, did you use double stick tape or something like that? Thank you!

  8. #8
    Junior Member Launie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    135
    That is really clever! I am gonna give that a try!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Florida
    Posts
    4,609
    Blog Entries
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarts2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.
    What is FMQ
    :?:
    FMQ = Free Motion Quilting

  10. #10
    Super Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarts2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.
    What is FMQ
    :?:
    It stands for free motion quilting.

    Some of us do FMQ with the feed dogs up.

  11. #11
    Senior Member CAJAMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    600
    Yes, some do feeddogs up some down. I do mine down. I use nothing to hold the vinyl in place. It just stays there as I am quilting.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ploverwi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    744
    I think it is fine just as it is. It needs whatever is best for you. Thanks for an awesome idea. Pay no attention to negative comments. You have been an inspiration to all of us with your great idea. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with all of us.

  13. #13
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Also curious about how you attach the vinyl to the extension table. Do you use painters tape? Masking tape? I am so excited about using this. I am going tomorrow to purchase the vinyl

    BTW, I think we have the same quilting machine (Babylock Quilter's Choice.)
    If my quilts come out 1/2 as good as yours, I will be psyched!!

  14. #14
    Super Member Wanabee Quiltin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Louis suburbs
    Posts
    5,498
    I have never heard of 'sliders' but now that you have posted the picture, I understand why people use it. I am just now getting into FMQ, sort of scared of it. I go all over the place, need way more practice. Thanks for you pics, I will go to Joann's on Monday and buy some too.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,604
    Blog Entries
    14
    Beautiful quilt!!!

  16. #16
    Super Member BrendaY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    9
    Is this the same heavier clear plastic that's used over tablecloths to keep them clean?

    When we put together my Margarita McManus sewing table, it was covered with this heavy clear plastic...just cut out around the needle and feed dog space.

    I LOVE it! Works great for what I do, but I've not learned to FMQ yet... just a beginner at quilting..

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    603
    Thank you for the great tip! I'm hoping to try it soon.

  18. #18
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ploverwi2
    I think it is fine just as it is. It needs whatever is best for you. Thanks for an awesome idea. Pay no attention to negative comments. You have been an inspiration to all of us with your great idea. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with all of us.
    What negative comments? LOL.

  19. #19
    Senior Member CAJAMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    600
    Thanks to all. Again...I use nothing to attach it...the vinyl just sits there...

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    I have some of that left from another project. Thanks for the tip!

  21. #21
    Super Member sparkys_mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,371
    Great idea and very cost effective. Love your quilt - the colors are wonderful. :thumbup:

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,247
    smart girl

  23. #23
    Senior Member JEL523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    358
    Thanks for the tip - always want to save money that I can better spend on fabric. Your quilt is wonderful and I love the colors!

  24. #24
    Super Member deedum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bluebell
    Posts
    4,234
    Love the quilt!

  25. #25
    crafty gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    224
    Great tip, thank you for sharing with all of us! I'll try anything to help my FMQ look better... yours looks great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.