Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my new one - It is done

Oh My Goodness...THAT is STUNNING!!! :-o :thumbup:

W O N D E R F U L!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoMiMi
    Doesn't it hurt your hands to quilt so small and for so long?
    No, fortunately not. I think I am blessed with strong hands and they have a lot of practice (I hand quilt 6 to 8 hours per day). Quilting is not so exhausting for the eyes like computer work!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful and orange! Love the quilting.
    peace

Oh My Goodness...THAT is STUNNING!!! :-o :thumbup:

Amazing, simply amazing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    Did you mark that yourself, because I've never seen whole cloth quilts that you purchase in anything other than white or cream.
    So, how long DID it take?
    Yes, I marked the quilt by myself. The inspiration came from a picture of a wholecloth in one of my books about British Quilting Tradition. I found some of the patterns in books and I made cardboard templates of it. The little spirals are drawn freehand and I also added additionl lines in some patterns, so it's not a exact reproduction of the quilt in the book.
    I took me 4 months to complete the quilt (6-8 hours of quilting every day).

Breathtaking! Just beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful !!!! :thumbup:

Andrea, as always your work is amazing!

Hugs

I always get excited when I see you've posted pictures, and I'm never disappointed! You do such beautiful work. You make me want to make a wholecloth... and wish that it would look half as good!!

Blog Entries
    Stunning design. This is such beautiful work!

Gorgeous.

As many others have said "WOW"

Andrea, I knew you had to be getting close...I have been checking posts everyday for yours. Of course it is stunning!! I have a couple of questions for you. Do you have a hard time finding quilting thread in the color you need to go with your fabric? I know that you have said you prefer YLI thread, but it seems like color choices are limited. I have had the privilage to see your strippy quilt up close at Pacific International, and I know you have entered quilts in other big shows here in the US, have you ever been judged negatively for choosing not to use binding? I know you finish the edge of your quilts in the traditional British way, which I think is beautiful, and not with the American type of binding. I do wonder if the edges wear sooner without a binding, especially if the quilt will get heavy use. Do you have one of your special quilts on your bed? Thank you so much for sharing your quilt with all of us here.

Blog Entries
    Exquisite handquilting :D:D:D

Oh, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    Andrea, I knew you had to be getting close...I have been checking posts everyday for yours. Of course it is stunning!! I have a couple of questions for you. Do you have a hard time finding quilting thread in the color you need to go with your fabric? I know that you have said you prefer YLI thread, but it seems like color choices are limited. I have had the privilage to see your strippy quilt up close at Pacific International, and I know you have entered quilts in other big shows here in the US, have you ever been judged negatively for choosing not to use binding? I know you finish the edge of your quilts in the traditional British way, which I think is beautiful, and not with the American type of binding. I do wonder if the edges wear sooner without a binding, especially if the quilt will get heavy use. Do you have one of your special quilts on your bed? Thank you so much for sharing your quilt with all of us here.
    Roselady,
    I agree, the color choices of the YLI thread are limited, but this has never been a problem. I also use contrasting threads for my quilts. This yellow/orange one is quilted with a rust colored thread, it's really darker than the fabric! Maybe you can see it on the detailed picture. But it works out fine for me and I like it that way. Once a friend told me I am quite brave to use this contrasting colors because you see every little stitch and every little uneveness...and this is right. I pull out many more stitches while quilting when using contrasting colors.
    I have also used the King Tut thread made by Superior Threads and GŁterman - I have always found a color that I like.

I have entered quilts in judged shows here in Europe (we only have a few!) and 4 times at the world quilt competition in the states. There were never negative comments about the "Knife Edge finishing", it was quite the contrary! Some judges mentioned it commendatory, they liked it. This is the traditional way of closing the edges for wholecloths in a Welsh or English style and I am a very traditional person - so I won't change that. It fits perfectly and I have never seen rules for the competitions that forbid the Knife Edge. You are right, the edges wear sooner and on antique quilts originally made that way they often put a binding around the egdes when it's worn out. For me it's not a problem because I do my quilts for decoration as wall hangings and for shows, not so much for use.

Maybe it sounds strange but we don't have one of my wholecloths on our bed. We use one of my first quilts (a pieced one) and it really looks used!

Blog Entries
    My, your work is really exquisite. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    After I have posted several pictures of "My new one" I can now say: It is done! :)
    Wow - that is just so beautiful and intricate. I love it.

Izy
    You are so gifted, it must have taken such a lot of patience and sheer determination in the early days to achieve such perfection.

Your work will become museum pieces I am sure!!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us, you are a true inspiration to us all!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D :D

I love this.
    You inspire me to finish handquilting the queen size I started about 4 years ago. Maybe this winter???

Great job!!!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful; love looking at your work!

That is totally AWESOME

Power Poster
    beautiful

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast