Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my new one - It is done

Blog Entries
    Beautiful. What incredible patience you have!

Beautiful, what a treasure!

Your detail is amazing. You truly have a gift. Thanks for sharing.

Ok, now I have questions regarding the order in which the parts of this quilt were quilted. I'm assuming you start in the center and work your way out? But it seems like after you do that center motif and start the grid, does it get tricky with where you meet up with the borders, since I think you've said you mark it as you go? Or maybe you do most of the grid, then do the borders before you finish were the grid meets the border?

Sorry if this question doesn't make any sense to anyone but me! Just trying to get a sense of how it all came together... :)

Kristin, that question really makes sense and I must admit I needed some time to figure out how it works best for me. I will try to explain it.

First, I finish all the patterns for the center motiv. The next step is to determine the outer edges line and the corners and to mark them.
    The area between the center motiv and the outer border is devided into quarters. I mark and quilt the lower left quarter first.
    The border patterns are now arranged along the outer edge, also the corner patterns on both sides of the quarter. Because I have marked the quarters of the quilt I also use these lines for adjusting the patterns. Afterwards I fill the remaining area with the grid.
    I start the quilting of the first quarter on it's right (vertical) side and quilt from the middle down the edges and the border patterns. Because I already know where the border patterns are I also know where I have to stop with the grid lines! That way I quilt to the left until the quarter is finished.
    The next step is the marking of the second quarter - and there you go until the quilting is finished!
    You always have to be a little careful with the angles of the grid lines. I use the outer edges I have marked first as guidelines to keep the angle.

Does that make sense for you? :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Kristin, that question really makes sense and I must admit I needed some time to figure out how it works best for me. I will try to explain it.

First, I finish all the patterns for the center motiv. The next step is to determine the outer edges line and the corners and to mark them.
    The area between the center motiv and the outer border is devided into quarters. I mark and quilt the lower left quarter first.
    The border patterns are now arranged along the outer edge, also the corner patterns on both sides of the quarter. Because I have marked the quarters of the quilt I also use these lines for adjusting the patterns. Afterwards I fill the remaining area with the grid.
    I start the quilting of the first quarter on it's right (vertical) side and quilt from the middle down the edges and the border patterns. Because I already know where the border patterns are I also know where I have to stop with the grid lines! That way I quilt to the left until the quarter is finished.
    The next step is the marking of the second quarter - and there you go until the quilting is finished!
    You always have to be a little careful with the angles of the grid lines. I use the outer edges I have marked first as guidelines to keep the angle.

Does that make sense for you? :roll:
    I think so. If I'm understanding correctly, the gist of it is that you quilt the center motif, then mark the edges of the quilt. Then you mark all of the pattern on one quarter, quilt it from the center outward, then continue on that way a quarter at a time. Is that correct? Thanks for taking the time to explain it! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    I think so. If I'm understanding correctly, the gist of it is that you quilt the center motif, then mark the edges of the quilt. Then you mark all of the pattern on one quarter, quilt it from the center outward, then continue on that way a quarter at a time. Is that correct? Thanks for taking the time to explain it! :)
    Yes, that is correct!

:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Yes, that is correct!

:thumbup:
    Thanks again, for satiating my curiosity! ;-)

Blog Entries
    It couldn't be more elegant!

Blog Entries
    pretty

HOLY s**t! Great work. :thumbup:

Stunning!!! Absolutely breathtaking, did you do all that by hand?

Amazing!!! From another handquilter.

As usual....BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

EC
    Andrea,

Do you have a fabric preference for your quilt tops? I'm sure you've been asked before, but I can't seem to find that particular post.

Thank you,
    Elaine

Just want to thank you "borntohandquilt" for sharing your beautiful talent with all of us! So appreciate your instructions which you have also shared in answer to our questions! I only have one more question, How far apart are your rows of basting stitching? Thanks again & your work is amazing!

Awesome! Extraordinary work. So glad you shared with us.

Very nice. Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by EC
    Andrea,

Do you have a fabric preference for your quilt tops? I'm sure you've been asked before, but I can't seem to find that particular post.

Thank you,
    Elaine
    Yes, I have a preference. I love the solids made by P&B and I've collected them for years. They have a higher thread count (75x75 per inch) and they are wonderful to hand quilt. Unfortunately a big wholesaler here in Europe took them out of their choice of products so it's almost impossible to purchase them somewhere here in Germany. Most shops have Kona Cotton Solids. But I am going to try the Moda Bella Solids again.

Quote Originally Posted by ralice
    I only have one more question, How far apart are your rows of basting stitching? Thanks again & your work is amazing!
    Thank you!

I must admit the basting is the part of quiltingmaking I don't like. Therefore I don't baste very close - the rows are have a distance of ca. 20 cm (8 inches). Most quilts I only baste in one direction. So please don't take that as a rule!
    :oops:

But there is one thing I really do: I start in the middle of the quilt and smooth the fabric to the open edges very, very often.

Blog Entries
    After I have posted several pictures of "My new one" I can now say: It is done! :)
    You truly do such lovely work!!!

Wow.... it's beautiful. You are amazing!

Just beautiful The color is stunning

Your design is so beautiful. You do excellent work. Also it looks like the quilts one can find in a museum here. You must have a world of patience.

Awesome

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast