Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pink Memory/t-shirt quilt >

Pink Memory/t-shirt quilt

Pink Memory/t-shirt quilt

Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

That is awesome. I love what you did with the shirts. My favorite is the girl scout sash. Great job.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. Hopefully, I have inspired some of you to make one of these. I promise to post pics and comments as to reactions of DGD when she sees it. :-)
Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 AM

Oh, she is going to be one thrilled graduate. So share the photo of her receiving it. Wonderful job, grandma
Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Banned

That is one good-looking quilt. I know she is absolutely going to love it! Great job!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Wonderful job. I'm sure that she will love it.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Hi all, Okay..here is my Jan-May31st project all completed. Years ago, I told my daughter to save her daughters t-shirts from various sports throughout the years and when she was a senior in high school, I would make her a quilt for her graduation.
In January, I received the package of t-shirts and then I went to work. I noticed that most of the t-shirt quilts I saw seemed to be mostly big blocks and I wanted to do something different. I saw a quilt in a magazine with strips of all sizes all mixed up and so I took that idea and went with it.
My granddaughter said her favorite color was pink so I went with many different pinks but for some contrast I added some yellows, (for sunshine) blues (for sky) and some purples because she said she liked that color too. She said her favorite flower was the hibiscus so I tried to make two of those (don't laugh) and then I added a beach scene. I tried for the first time to add pictures and they came out well. I also did the label on the back with the same idea and downloaded blank quilt labels from an on-line site. (If I am permitted I can tell you but don't want to do it if it isn't allowed.)
Then I hand-quilted it because I was afraid LAQ might ruin the pictures. I know very little about LAQ. So here it is - last stitches put in on May 31st. We will deliver it one day before her high school graduation in California. I will post an update of she and I after we give it to her. So know you know my story. :-).
I have been looking for a pattern for t-shirts too and I too noticed that the patterns consisted of large blocks. Did you applique the fussie cut t-shirts onto muslin fabric? I have been collecting all my fabric baby clothes from my four boys. I wanted to make them into a quilt but I did not want to do large blocks. All that I had read says to fuse the pieces to mulsin but I kind of want them to be soft and not stiff.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:31 PM

What an awesome gift! I am sure she will love it!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
I have been looking for a pattern for t-shirts too and I too noticed that the patterns consisted of large blocks. Did you applique the fussie cut t-shirts onto muslin fabric? I have been collecting all my fabric baby clothes from my four boys. I wanted to make them into a quilt but I did not want to do large blocks. All that I had read says to fuse the pieces to mulsin but I kind of want them to be soft and not stiff.
I buy the softest iron-on Pellon I can find. Then I cut the t-shirts out, leaving more than I need but also leaving the neck band on to prevent stretching. Make sure the Pellon is a bit smaller than what you are ironing it on to or you will have it stuck to your ironing board.
Iron on the Pellon and then cut to the size you want. I am not sure how you would do the baby clothes. You might have to put something behind them or you are going to have strange shapes to work with instead of square blocks. Hope you can see what I am trying to say.
I wouldthink the baby clothes would be soft enough and if you do not do really tight close-together quilting, I think it would be a cuddily quilt. You might wash it once too when you are finished to help soften the backing. These are just ideas. If anyone else has suggestions, please jump in.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM

You outdid yourself! Great job and I know she's going to love it.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Perfect, and perfectly beautiful!