Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Playing with Freemotion >

Playing with Freemotion

Playing with Freemotion

Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM

I need to find a bood with the patterns in it...can anyone direct me?
Thanks,
Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 AM

Looks like I need to do some of this, what I just need to wake up early :-D , no I am joking.

Think practice is the key. I love loe your work.

Elle
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 AM

I couldn't do this no matter what time I got up. Great Job.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Lookin really good! Did you use a pattern or freehand??? Wonderful job girl!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 AM

Wow that's lovely---I'm going to have a go---bet mine doesnt turn out like that!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Beautiful stitching! Right after you woke up? You are a genius!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Thank you all so much for your kind compliments!

I'll try to answer some of your questions...
Books to use for patterns? There are lots of them out there, check out your LQS, or do a search on Amazon.com for "machine quilting" to find some.

I found this one to be a good "starter" book for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Pathways-Bette...5171050&sr=8-1

I have several others with different techniques and have experimented/learned something from each one, including:
http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...5170833&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Foolproof-Mach...der_1571205098
http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Savvy-Ga...5170880&sr=1-7

But what I found most helpful was actually taking a class at my LQS to get started. The hands-on, in-person instruction helped me to get over my initial "fear" of messing up. And it was nice to be with others who were just starting out also. It was like learning to write in Kindergarden...nobody's look very good, but we were all trying, and had a few good laughs for sure!

I've tried several different techniques and find that I most enjoy freemotion without any marking. I like to figure out some kind of design that compliments my patchwork without over doing it. My first experiment with symetrical designs marked on a quilt was a bit of a disaster. I set up a light table to trace the designs (from one of the above books), spent hours machine quilting, only to find that I really should have tested REMOVING the markings from a scrap of fabric first. I used a special fabric marking pencil and with everything I've tried so far, I cannot get the pencil lines off the light colored fabric!

I also have a few stencils with the pounce pad and chalk that disappears with a hot iron. I like that technique for more "regular" designs, but it's a bit messy.

Another method I really like is using blue painters masking tape to mark straight lines to follow with a walking foot. I've used this on quilt borders a few times and have been very happy with the results. It's very easy to remove also since you sew BESIDE the tape, not through it.

What has been MOST helpful to me has been to utilize quilting videos. Watch some experts and try to emulate what they do. I've learned LOTS about how to get better at FMQ by following their advice. Sharon Schamber has lots of videos on youtube, and you'll find others there too of varying abilities. (Sharon Schamber is my HERO!!!) She has probably spend 10's of thousand of hours at her machines in order to develop the skills she has. And she is obviously very gifted artistically! As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I also learned TONS from Karen McTavish's book and video on "McTavishing", and from Leah Day at http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm where she has tons of FMQ videos to watch and try out for yourself.

My advice to anyone serious about learning FMQ is:
1. Take a class at your LQS if it is available and affordable for you.
2. Search the web for Freemotion quilting and read everything you find.
3. Utilize videos off the web or purchased from experts.
4. Make yourself a stack of 12" to 18" square quilt sandwiches and just GO FOR IT! (Don't expect your first attempts to be satisfactory--find a pet worthy of some new sleeping pads and honor them with your work like I did! :lol: :lol: )

It won't feel at all natural at first. If you're like me, you'll struggle with hand eye coordination and have almost no control over your stitch length. Just keep going! And going! And going! And one day you'll quilt something that doesn't look too bad. Next I started with some little projects, potholders, placemats, totebags, Christmas stockings, anything relatively small and easy to maneuver. It gave me a lot of confidence to actually finally make a useable item or two! Then give them to people who will be amazed by your new found skill and shower you with compliments! Before you know it, you'll be on your way!

And, last but not least, not everyone enjoys FMQ. If you like the challenge and are willing to work at it, then do it. If you aren't having fun, maybe you should choose to enjoy the aspects of quilt making that make you happy and support your local longarm quilter!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
Thank you all so much for your kind compliments!

I'll try to answer some of your questions...
Books to use for patterns? There are lots of them out there, check out your LQS, or do a search on Amazon.com for "machine quilting" to find some.

I found this one to be a good "starter" book for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Pathways-Bette...5171050&sr=8-1

I have several others with different techniques and have experimented/learned something from each one, including:
http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...5170833&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Foolproof-Mach...der_1571205098
http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Savvy-Ga...5170880&sr=1-7

But what I found most helpful was actually taking a class at my LQS to get started. The hands-on, in-person instruction helped me to get over my initial "fear" of messing up. And it was nice to be with others who were just starting out also. It was like learning to write in Kindergarden...nobody's look very good, but we were all trying, and had a few good laughs for sure!

I've tried several different techniques and find that I most enjoy freemotion without any marking. I like to figure out some kind of design that compliments my patchwork without over doing it. My first experiment with symetrical designs marked on a quilt was a bit of a disaster. I set up a light table to trace the designs (from one of the above books), spent hours machine quilting, only to find that I really should have tested REMOVING the markings from a scrap of fabric first. I used a special fabric marking pencil and with everything I've tried so far, I cannot get the pencil lines off the light colored fabric!

I also have a few stencils with the pounce pad and chalk that disappears with a hot iron. I like that technique for more "regular" designs, but it's a bit messy.

Another method I really like is using blue painters masking tape to mark straight lines to follow with a walking foot. I've used this on quilt borders a few times and have been very happy with the results. It's very easy to remove also since you sew BESIDE the tape, not through it.

What has been MOST helpful to me has been to utilize quilting videos. Watch some experts and try to emulate what they do. I've learned LOTS about how to get better at FMQ by following their advice. Sharon Schamber has lots of videos on youtube, and you'll find others there too of varying abilities. (Sharon Schamber is my HERO!!!) She has probably spend 10's of thousand of hours at her machines in order to develop the skills she has. And she is obviously very gifted artistically! As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I also learned TONS from Karen McTavish's book and video on "McTavishing", and from Leah Day at http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm where she has tons of FMQ videos to watch and try out for yourself.

My advice to anyone serious about learning FMQ is:
1. Take a class at your LQS if it is available and affordable for you.
2. Search the web for Freemotion quilting and read everything you find.
3. Utilize videos off the web or purchased from experts.
4. Make yourself a stack of 12" to 18" square quilt sandwiches and just GO FOR IT! (Don't expect your first attempts to be satisfactory--find a pet worthy of some new sleeping pads and honor them with your work like I did! :lol: :lol: )

It won't feel at all natural at first. If you're like me, you'll struggle with hand eye coordination and have almost no control over your stitch length. Just keep going! And going! And going! And one day you'll quilt something that doesn't look too bad. Next I started with some little projects, potholders, placemats, totebags, Christmas stockings, anything relatively small and easy to maneuver. It gave me a lot of confidence to actually finally make a useable item or two! Then give them to people who will be amazed by your new found skill and shower you with compliments! Before you know it, you'll be on your way!

And, last but not least, not everyone enjoys FMQ. If you like the challenge and are willing to work at it, then do it. If you aren't having fun, maybe you should choose to enjoy the aspects of quilt making that make you happy and support your local longarm quilter!
Thank you for the advice...I will get to work on utilizing it.
Susan
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM

WOW! Incredible! How long have you been FMQing? How did you get that good?!?!?! LOTS of practice, I'm sure. I've tried, but need more practice. Just got a new machine - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 with the motion sensory FMQ feature....haven't quite mastered it yet.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by rkymtnquilter
WOW! Incredible! How long have you been FMQing? How did you get that good?!?!?! LOTS of practice, I'm sure. I've tried, but need more practice. Just got a new machine - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 with the motion sensory FMQ feature....haven't quite mastered it yet.
It's been about a year since my first attempts, but I don't have as much time to devote to quilting as I'd like. (Things like a FT job, husband, other hobbies, need for sleep, etc. get in the way sometimes.)
Sounds like you have a wonderful machine, just keep at it and you'll get there!