Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Please Help with quilting design ideas! >

Please Help with quilting design ideas!

Please Help with quilting design ideas!

Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 AM

I love your quilt and your use of the Minky! I have lots of pieces of Minky left over from backings of several quilts and didn’t have a clue what to do with them, so I appreciate the great idea and look forward to seeing the quilting!
Old 04-10-2021, 01:24 AM

Default How easy or difficult was it to piece minky?

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Simply adorable...yes, waves would be perfect. I have never used minky on the front of a quilt, only on the backing. How easy or difficult was it yo piece?
I used a lot of pins when piecing with minky. I thought about using stabilizer to keep the minky from stretching like in a t-shirt quilt, however,, the minky dots would iron flat if I did that.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:30 AM

Seaweed strands.......water spraying from blow holes..... and a photo showing wavy lines, like waves on a quilt....All wonderful ideas ! Thank you!
Old 04-10-2021, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Very cute! Waves would look good. Do you plan to do edge to edge waves or outline stitch the whales and bubbles? Either way would be great.
I plan to stitch in the ditch on the straight seams first and then outline stitch the whales and bubbles to make them pop!

I haven't decided yet about whether I will do edge to edge stitching. I will have to quilt inside the minky whale blocks due to their large size and the batting requirements of quilting distance being 10".
Old 04-10-2021, 01:48 AM

Lightbulb "Did you piece the circles in or applique them on?"

[QUOTE=LAF2019;8474473]That is so adorable! did you piece the circles in or applique them on? how was it working with the minky?
I would echo around the whales and bubbles and maybe add some interest at the blow hole spouts. otherwise some kind of wavy/water design would be nice

I appliqued the circles and the whale eyes.. Here is how I did it:

Lay square of minky, right side up, next place interfacing with traced shape on top of minky square. Sew on the traced shape. Trim outside the traced, sewn lines using a pinking shears. Once you have cut your shape out (circles and whale eyes)....carefully cut a slit in the interfacing and turn the minky through the slit. Now you have your minky shape as you see it on my quilt.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:36 AM

Adorable! I like your wave idea. I would do some cross hatching with matching thread inside the whales using the minkey dots as a guide to stabilize them without flattening the dotty texture.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:06 AM

Cute whales!
Old 04-10-2021, 07:36 AM

I would perhaps make a circle around the bubbles, but do the waves across the whole quilt, including the whales.

Watson
Old 04-10-2021, 04:11 PM

How about waves with seaweed interspersed? Barely there blue for the wave background and barely there green for the seaweed?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
How about waves with seaweed interspersed? Barely there blue for the wave background and barely there green for the seaweed?
I am going to the store to find barely there blue for the wave background. I was going to use white because I had it , but I think your barely blue thread would be perfect.
I do have a lovely green for seaweed on hand. I will think about adding it last if I think it needs it. thank you all for your ideas!