Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Practice for Affairs of the Heart

I have not done needle turn applique before so I wanted to practice with something that had fewer and larger pieces. These blocks are from a free BOM from Bunny Hill Designs I thought they were so cute and a good project for me to try. Some of the pieces are wool and are stitched with embroidery floss per the directions. So please let me know how I知 doing and feel free to be honest I really want to go learn and do work the quality of the other people that have already posted blocks for Affairs of the Heart.
    I知 planning to attempt the first Affairs of the Heart block and wondering how everyone gets the marking on the dark fabric. I normally use a light box but not sure how that will work with the chocolate brown fabric I知 using for my background. Also is there any blocks you think I should do first. Maybe save the really hard ones for when I致e had more practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    These are so cute. Looking good:)

Blog Entries
    I think you are doing a fantastic job so far. The most important is when it comes from the heart you will keep on getting better no matter what you try.I find that is what a lot of had stiching does.On darker fabric nothing fancy just chalk works for me.

they are very nice you did an excellent job

aww so cute!

Blog Entries
    Looks really good to me - you will do fine with AOTH.

I use a Sewline pencil (has retractable leads) and my light box works fine with Kona black background. To see the AOTH due to start as a BOM on the board in June, go to the bottom of the page, click on Topic Lists, and look there. It will take you to all of the threads already started for this quilt, as some of us Jumped the Gun.

Lisa,
    I love your blocks! You do very nice work. I have these saved for when I can get to them.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful applique work :D:D:D

These are great. I started one on Sunday. Are you using the same fabric as the ones on the blog? Love them.

You did an excellent job. Nice work.

I use an overlay for dark or black fabric. Vinyl from Jo Ann's or Hancocks, thin interfacing, or even those clear plastic transfers
    from Staples (transparencies) will work.

Cute! :)

Looks like you are doing really good. I love your blocks and the colors you are using. Cute little squirels. Keep up the great work.

Blog Entries
    Great job!!!! I love the blocks, too!!! :thumbup:

They look wonderful

Cute.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
    These are great. I started one on Sunday. Are you using the same fabric as the ones on the blog? Love them.
    Yes I am using the fabric she selected I have made a few substitutions. I love the fabric so much the purple and burgundy are so great together and I知 not sure I would have thought to do that on my own. I知 still new to quilting and I知 learning a lot on this project. Maybe we should start a place to post Henrietta Whiskers blocks. I finished the forth one last night and started on my first AOTH block. I have to wait 3 hours tonight while my daughter takes a class down town so maybe I can post my first block tomorrow.

Your applique looks great, thanks for posting the pictures. I've been looking for a hand project for TV time, I went to Bunny Hill and printed the bom blocks, thanks again!

Very cute! I couldn't decide if I wanted to attempt it or not; so am saving the blocks for future possibilities. Your applique work is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lisamortell
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
    Yes I am using the fabric she selected I have made a few substitutions. I love the fabric so much the purple and burgundy are so great together and I知 not sure I would have thought to do that on my own. I知 still new to quilting and I知 learning a lot on this project. Maybe we should start a place to post Henrietta Whiskers blocks. I finished the forth one last night and started on my first AOTH block. I have to wait 3 hours tonight while my daughter takes a class down town so maybe I can post my first block tomorrow.
    I just came up from my sewing room for a break from working on this quilt. I didn't use any of the fabric that it called for...just what I had...well maybe I did go and buy a "few" fabrics. I'm liking the way it is turning out. When I'm further along I will post the blocks. I'm getting excited about this quilt.

There awesome, I just love Bunny Hill Designs, I want to make these as well, working on a tisket, a tasket right now.

Blog Entries
    looking good