Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What machine do I have?

This is the sewing machine my boyfriend (now hubby of 41 years) gave me when I graduated from high school in 1969. I have always assumed it is a White.
    I have been sooooo encouraged by reading all the posts and comments by all of you who clean and maintain your own machines, that I thought maybe I could bring this machine back to life. (It hasn't worked properly for 8 or 10 years. I even bought a new White about 6 years ago.)
    Soooo last Monday my 3 1/2 yr old grandson sat with me and we poked and swiped qtips in every nook and cranny a qtip would fit. YUK! Oiled her up, fine tuned the tension and she runs beatifully again.
    My question now is...what is it. Nowhere on the machine does it say White. I know the dealer where he bought it sells White. (Still open after all these years.) The only name on the machine is Dressmaker. I've tried to search it onlune but can't find anything. Can anyone on this great board tell me anything about my machine? Thanks soooo much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I don't know...but glad you got her working again and she's beautiful!! Althought it does look like a White machine??

Send the pic to Billy (lostn51). He'll probably know.

One of my first sewing machines was also a dressmaker and I got it by entering a contest in a magazine or newspaper and submitting my answer. But I cannot tell you anything about the machine except it was a Dressmaker. Have no idea who made the machine since I was not into sewing and caring back in those years.

Quick search & this came up, not sure if it's what you need.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7895124_inst...g-machine.html There's more info about it on the ehow site if you scroll around a bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    One of my first sewing machines was also a dressmaker and I got it by entering a contest in a magazine or newspaper and submitting my answer. But I cannot tell you anything about the machine except it was a Dressmaker. Have no idea who made the machine since I was not into sewing and caring back in those years.
    So did I. I couldn't aford the other and I won a prize of $35.00 off and I bought it. It was called Dressmaker.

Blog Entries
    Don't know what it is other than what you said, but wanted to say "you go, girl". Any thing old that still works and is used is great in my book. It is nice to have a variety of machines to pick and choose which one is best for the job at hand. Congatulations, she is pretty.

i just bought a "HILTON" machine that's still in the trunk of my car. I'll try to get it out (weighs a ton) and get a picture of it.

I read on on link that the Hilton was bought out by White. I do have a sticker for the local dealer who sold it origianlly. Mine is called a "zigzag stitcher"

"Dressmaker" is the name on the machine. Not White..google that and you should also be able to find a model number on the machine.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will try sending to Billy. I trid a search for Dressmaker JNZ567528 (that's the number on the underside of the machine) and I get 'no results'. I'm thinking of printing a picture and taking it to the dealer where it was originally purchased.
    I have the accessories tin which holds the extra feet and the 24 cams that drop in the top for various stitches but it has nothing on it. The instruction book which has pics of my machine in it has NO name on it anywhere. I may just name her Missy for MYSTERY!

Quote Originally Posted by barb55
    So did I. I couldn't aford the other and I won a prize of $35.00 off and I bought it. It was called Dressmaker.
    Me too! Guess they had a lot of contest winners. I got mine while in high school around 1970. Loved it. Just traded it on my Janome 2 years ago. It was a White Dressmaker and looked very similar to yours in the picture.

Blog Entries
    Why does the word "Sears" pop into my head when I hear
    Dressmaker - Did Sears make sewing machines?

my neice won a dressmaker to when she was like 9 yrs old , the best machine i every sewed on. I wanted a machine that had a botton hole maker on it and i gave my daughter the dressmaker. will that was the dumest thing i ever did. never had a machine as good as the dressmaker. than i lucked out and found an other dressmaker and man i grab the puppie and ran home so fast all you could see was dust. and now im so happy, i just put a binding on a quilt today and love evey stitch that machine sewed. i think dressmaker is the band name of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by LoisN
    Quote Originally Posted by barb55
    Me too! Guess they had a lot of contest winners. I got mine while in high school around 1970. Loved it. Just traded it on my Janome 2 years ago. It was a White Dressmaker and looked very similar to yours in the picture.
    See I thought it was a White. Do you have anything that actually says White Dressmaker though?

Dressmaker is a Japanese, badged machine. There's tons of different names, Dressmaker being just one of the many cloned machines out there. They were copied and different names or badges were slapped on them. Made in Japan. Not USA. I have a badged, Japanese machine. They're hard to trace back to year etc. though that's really not all that important. They don't fetch the interest that the Singers, Whites etc. do, but they're still neat because you can find them in great colors and they're still work horses.

Quote Originally Posted by katyquilter
    Why does the word "Sears" pop into my head when I hear
    Dressmaker - Did Sears make sewing machines?
    The main machine I"m using now is a Kenmore. I think there are two more in my closet