Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   401-A Baby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/401-baby-t159931.html)

pinebeltquilter 10-13-2011 05:42 AM

This was my first machine which I bought new in 1961, when my first daughter was born, she has made baby clothes, school clothes, banduniforms, cheerleader suits, prom dresses and bridesmaid dresses, just to name a few. Still have her along with my Babylock Ellisomo, featherweight, Bernina, and my mother's Singer treadle. I have to say, she has more wear than all the rest!!! She's a keeper!!!!! :thumbup:

grannypat7925 10-13-2011 06:48 AM

This is my favorite machine of all the ones I have had. Bought it new in 1956 (I think) and used it almost daily till 1984 when hubby talked me into trading. Have regretted letting it go ever since and would love to have another! You will love it!

cindy anne 10-13-2011 06:56 AM

My mom has that same machine. I love it. Will try to talk her out of it someday (when I have someplace to put it). She made so many dresses for my sister and me, mending for my brother and dad. My sister and I did our 4H sewing on that work horse. Enjoy!

Mariposa 10-13-2011 07:04 AM

Congrats on your new baby! :)

May in Jersey 10-13-2011 07:11 AM

Could kick myself. I picked up one of these babies at a local firehouse garage sale for $25. She sewed great but I really didn't have room for her so I sold it to a guild member for what I paid for it and she gave it to her DD. Oh well, at least someone is getting some good use from it. May in Jersey

debbieumphress 10-13-2011 07:16 AM

I love reading all of the stories posted here. I did receive a pdf file with the manual so all I have to do is print a few pages at a time. I'll look up her info from her serial number and see what her story is. I used to know. Thanks everyone.

BuzzinBumble 10-13-2011 07:39 AM

How cool Debbie! I bought ours from patdesign here on the QB. It had every kind of attachment and accessory and sews like a dream. A vintage machine of this quality is a treasure for sure, so congratulations! I'm now drooling over Rocketeers. That said - for quilting you don't really need the cams.

fluffygirl 10-13-2011 08:12 AM

These are wonderful machines. I have 2! Have fun sewing with her.

Pat

postal packin' mama 10-13-2011 12:21 PM

[quote=The 401 has all the stitches built in, you shouldn't need any cams.[/quote]

The 401A has the stitches built into the dials at the top. (Life the hinged 'lid' above the selection knob)
It's the 301 that uses cams for different stitches & buttonholes.
I sold my 301 but use my 401A all the time. Love it.

QuiltnCowgirl 10-13-2011 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[quote=postal packin' mama]

Originally Posted by The 401 has all the stitches built in, you shouldn't need any cams.[/quote

The 401A has the stitches built into the dials at the top.
It's the 301 that uses cams for different stitches & buttonholes.
I sold my 301 but use my 401A all the time. Love it.

The 401 can do some stitches in addition to the built in cam stack one, with the use of the separate additional stitch cams.

Take a look at the left side of this list. The numbered fashion discs are the stitches available using the removable discs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270749[/ATTACH]