Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   401-A Baby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/401-baby-t159931.html)

postal packin' mama 10-13-2011 12:57 PM

[quote=QuiltnCowgirl]

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama

Originally Posted by The 401 has all the stitches built in, you shouldn't need any cams.[/quote

The 401A has the stitches built into the dials at the top.
It's the 301 that uses cams for different stitches & buttonholes.
I sold my 301 but use my 401A all the time. Love it.

The 401 can do some stitches in addition to the built in cam stack one, with the use of the separate additional stitch cams.

Where are you saying additional cams can be used on
the 401A? The 403 apparently can use them, as shown
on the illustration in your posting (nice job getting that
to scan into a posting, BTW), but where are you referring to on the 401?? Thanks.

QuiltnCowgirl 10-13-2011 01:06 PM

lol Sorry - didn't mean to make things more confusing. Let me to explain it this way:

On the left side of the diagram, which is for the 401, where ever it shows the "Selector Patterns" knob, those are the built-in stitches & dial settings. (Example: Zig zag, Ball, Domino) Where it shows "Special Fashion Discs" & "Fashion Discs", those are the individual discs that can be purchased and used to do the stitches not available with the built-ins. (Example: disc 11 ribbon stitch, disc 1 arrowhead stitch, disc 5 banner stitch, disc 21 chevron).

postal packin' mama 10-13-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
lol Sorry - didn't mean to make things more confusing. Let me to explain it this way:

On the left side of the diagram, which is for the 401, where ever it shows the "Selector Patterns" knob, those are the built-in stitches & dial settings. (Example: Zig zag, Ball, Domino) Where it shows "Special Fashion Discs" & "Fashion Discs", those are the individual discs that can be purchased and used to do the stitches not available with the built-ins. (Example: disc 11 ribbon stitch, disc 1 arrowhead stitch, disc 5 banner stitch, disc 21 chevron).

Okay, but I was wondering where those additional discs/cams were inserted on the 401A? (not being argumentive at all, just asking for clarification cuz
I didn't know about them. Thanks!)
It's just amazing what can be learned from this board.

greaterexp 10-13-2011 01:49 PM

I have one in my garage just waiting to be cleaned up! I've read only wonderful things about these machines!

Evelyn 10-13-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
This is my Betty Boop. All I have is what you can see.
Do you think it is worth buying cams for her and the book or just better to look at her?

The cams are not necessary for straight stitching, zigzag or a few ohter built in stitches just use the dials.
It is a true workhorse- I have had mine since 1960!

QuiltnCowgirl 10-13-2011 02:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Okay, but I was wondering where those additional discs/cams were inserted on the 401A? (not being argumentive at all, just asking for clarification cuz

No problem! :D
Take a look at the picture of Debbie's machine on page 1. See on the very top of the machine where the 2 bobbin spools are? That is a compartment lid that opens up. Here's a couple of pictures I found online:

hspirit_99 10-13-2011 02:15 PM

i have a 1951 403 and i love it. it will sew through anything you put before it. the cams are worth it also. there are many and all different kinds of accent or decorative stitches. you will love it and i think you can get a manuel free from the singer site. use her, she will not dissapoint you

carolynjo 10-13-2011 02:23 PM

Get the cams and the book and then use this machine to death! Likely it will outlast you. Mine is 53 years old and has been to hospital only once when the rubber roller to wind the bobbin disintegrated. Love, love, love it.

postal packin' mama 10-13-2011 03:07 PM

No problem! :D
Take a look at the picture of Debbie's machine on page 1. See on the very top of the machine where the 2 bobbin spools are? That is a compartment lid that opens up. Here's a couple of pictures I found online:

Well, color me BLUSH -- I've that 401A for decades (it was my Mom's) and never used that feature -- didn't really notice it, probably. Wow! Thanks for this posting and your patience, too.
The 401A is indeed a wonderful machine.
A Singer service guy told me to never give up that one cuz
it's the last one made with all metal components.

Noiseynana 10-13-2011 03:58 PM

Betty Boop is a fiesty little gal. Go to work. hehehe