Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   401-A Baby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/401-baby-t159931.html)

Paula Loges 10-13-2011 05:42 PM

My father worked for Singer many years ago, and gave me one of these I think it was for high school graduation - best Singer made! I LOVED this machine! Years later he sent me a Singer Futura and I sold the 401-A. Big mistake. Futura was a headache. I've since switched to Bernina and love my Bernina 440QE, but have fond memories of this Singer.

Nettie Phillips 10-13-2011 05:52 PM

Get the book and sew on it. Really make quilts. Ha! It is just like
the one my mother had. My sisters GD has it now. I have several
machines already.

debbieumphress 10-13-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
lol Sorry - didn't mean to make things more confusing. Let me to explain it this way:

On the left side of the diagram, which is for the 401, where ever it shows the "Selector Patterns" knob, those are the built-in stitches & dial settings. (Example: Zig zag, Ball, Domino) Where it shows "Special Fashion Discs" & "Fashion Discs", those are the individual discs that can be purchased and used to do the stitches not available with the built-ins. (Example: disc 11 ribbon stitch, disc 1 arrowhead stitch, disc 5 banner stitch, disc 21 chevron).

Okay, but I was wondering where those additional discs/cams were inserted on the 401A? (not being argumentive at all, just asking for clarification cuz
I didn't know about them. Thanks!)
It's just amazing what can be learned from this board.

No problem! :D
Take a look at the picture of Debbie's machine on page 1. See on the very top of the machine where the 2 bobbin spools are? That is a compartment lid that opens up. Here's a couple of pictures I found online:

Well, color me BLUSH -- I've that 401A for decades (it was my Mom's) and never used that feature -- didn't really notice it, probably. Wow! Thanks for this posting and your patience, too.
The 401A is indeed a wonderful machine.
A Singer service guy told me to never give up that one cuz
it's the last one made with all metal components.

Glad QC found those pictures. I was going to take a picture of my top. This machine is so clean too. I have her in the living room checking her out. She is a 1951 Elisabth, NJ.

debbieumphress 10-13-2011 07:38 PM

I read all the pages again and may have to print them all for the great info. Today I rec'd a manual pdf file and then ordered some wonderful feet from Mitch's mom. Have to see which one's I still need. Or and she is sending me an accessories case too.

I'm going to get used to her before ordering cams. I am thinking I need to have at least some of them to experience all she can do. And still waiting to hear from Hawaii on a case made for her. I'll keep checking here often. Hope I can ask questions here once I start using her.

Have to be honest here, I am having a retreat next week for Qb members, 13 of us....so will have to do it after. Have to get ready for it. Might take it to the retreat for all of us to play with. Might have help there.

Lorae Radunz 10-13-2011 07:52 PM

Lucky you to have "Betty". Defintely use her!

debbieumphress 10-17-2011 07:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And to think she has been sitting here a while...just looking cute. Well, this is what arrived today to get me going on her. Ordered from Mitch's Mom.

She had extra feet and threw in the accessories box for me. And the button holer came with the deal. So I'm getting started at least. I will put the feet attachments in my little book and that way when I find others, I know what I have.

Candace 10-17-2011 02:15 PM

Woohoo, I just got one today too:>

3incollege 10-17-2011 02:30 PM

It looks like the one my grandma sewed on.

lupee60 10-20-2011 11:12 AM

I have a 401A too, and i love it.

emdns39 10-20-2011 05:12 PM

I have had mine for almost 50 yrs. and it is still running and I would not part with it.