Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This and That (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/a-t947.html)

isnthatodd 04-14-2007 06:20 AM

Weste, nothing wrong with your post. That's a beautiful quilt, and you should be very proud of it. :D

Yvonne 04-14-2007 06:52 AM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been having some fun!!! :o)

Catherine, I've not done very much applique work. In fact a couple years ago I asked my sister to teach me how. The results, after about 10 minutes of work was, "Tiggers don't like applique!" and I was Tigger at that point! Not my cup of tea.
Well, I couldn't just leave it alone because every pattern I really like has some applique. SO.... I'm trying again to learn how. I'm still struggling but it's becoming easier. It's just like everyone says, I gotta keep practicing! "I hate practice too!"
In my minds eye, I just pick up the needle and presto, I've a beautiful applique block! Ha!
I also have to give Leslee credit for pushing me to try that little Hawaiian applique block.
Hopefully someday applique will become my project of choice.

Isnthatodd, That black and white quilt idea was taken from one of Yvonne Porcella's books. I just started cutting fabric and making things fit. If there was a hole I cut squares and strips until there wasn't a hole any more! It has to be my favorite project to date! Lots and lots of fun. (I have a math minor!)

Moonpi 04-14-2007 12:49 PM

I love the whimsical ones - Malibu cow and the frog pond made me giggle.

susan s. 04-22-2007 06:37 AM

Yvonne; I absolutely adore your web site. You are doing what I want to do. And I can see our color palettes are very similar. I just love bright bold color. I drool when I see red! Fuschias a favorite and any shade most people would want to wear sunglasses around just gets me warmed up! Boy am I revved up after taking your cyber tour!! :lol: I need to quit feeling guilty when my piles of fabric and my machine are speaking to me and so are the dirty dishes! Guess I best buy more paper plates!! :wink:

rvquilter 04-22-2007 08:22 AM

Wonderful work!!! May I ask where you got the frog pond pattern? I would like to do that one.

SandraJennings 04-22-2007 09:12 AM

You go Girl!!! Those are all wonderful!! Keep up the good work. What inspiration.

Yvonne 04-22-2007 10:49 AM

http://www.quiltmaker.com/special/pond/index.html
rvquilter, the above address has the pattern for Over by the Pond. It's a fun pattern to make. I learned paper piecing by making this quilt. It should not have been my first paper piecing effort but I finally figured it all out! I learned a few new words, how to rip out teeny-tiny stitches, and to cut larger chunks of fabric!

Susan S.
Don't you just love the bright colors they're putting into fabrics? My sister calls me the 'color maven' and my brother always wants to know WHY don't I 'put a little color into my quilts?' :lol: The hardest quilts I've made were the ones I let my daughters pick the focus fabric for. They chose "out of my color pallet." It was good for me to learn to work with other colors but difficult! I've discovered, I like the earthtones other people use but not to work with! Give me clear colors and forget the shades!

Thank you one and all for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the web site. Someday, I'll get back in there and edit a few of the errors in spelling, etc! But who has time to work on a web site when there is fabric waiting to be cut and stitched? :wink:

rvquilter 04-22-2007 11:36 AM

LOL I probably will too. Thanks for the link. I got it ordered.

Pat 04-22-2007 05:13 PM

Yvonne, I just looked at your web, WOW~~~Those are wonderful. I love Julie's,Matthew's, Naomi & Jon's & Good & Plenty, the most. But I'd be thrilled to have received any one of them. Is the convergence pattern the one by Ricky Timm's? I really like them too. Keep up the great work. I'm just starting to try applique, I'm not sure how I'll like it. I'm doing both hand & machine. I've only been quilting 3 1/2 yrs. I really love it. I hope to have 45 quilts under my belt in the next , oh 10-20 years!!!LOL Thanks for sharing, it is a great inspiration.

B_RGuest 08-14-2007 07:24 PM

Yvonne,

You are a very gifted quilter. I enjoy looking at all different types of quilts, and everyone I've seen of yours is just beautiful. I'll have to get my quilt book out sometime and scan some of my quilts to show.
Linda