Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Cathy m......what do you think ?????????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cathy-m-what-do-you-think-t8574.html)

Barb M 06-28-2008 09:50 PM

Oh i see, so you have more squares to make more checkerboard effect? Yes, it looks very nice with the white squares, and i like how the centre doesnt have the white squares, makes the centre look like a medallion. If you have enough fabric, a small diamond in the white squares would look real nice, but whatever you decide it is very beautiful! :)

Izy 06-28-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Oh i see, so you have more squares to make more checkerboard effect? Yes, it looks very nice with the white squares, and i like how the centre doesnt have the white squares, makes the centre look like a medallion.

I haven't sewn the blocks together yet Barb, just lay them out.
The pieces are all pre-cut, so I had to jiggle them around and trim up the purple to match up in size to come up with a block that sorta matches, but is different ...anyway, I think the general opinion is it works, so I will probably make six of those and may include a plain white block as well, lets see how it develops...to be continued...!!

Butterflyspain 06-28-2008 10:40 PM

Izy, that looks really great girl :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you hadnīt said anything I would never have known. Well done you inspire me.

Elle x

patricej 06-28-2008 11:31 PM

if you cut the two "extra" blocks in half on the diagonal, you could position each of the resulting triangular blocks in the corners of the quilt for balance. you wouldn't have perfect points along the diagonal seams because of the seam allowance, but it would be a way to use all six of those lucsious blocks in one top.

Izy 06-29-2008 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if you cut the two "extra" blocks in half on the diagonal, you could position each of the resulting triangular blocks in the corners of the quilt for balance. you wouldn't have perfect points along the diagonal seams because of the seam allowance, but it would be a way to use all six of those lucsious blocks in one top.

Patrice, I will have six of the original 'star' effect blocks plus six of the 'chequerboard' effect that I made up of the remaining fabric...PLUS I have enough white to maybe include 'somehow'...I haven't got that far yet lol!!

I sort of 'think' I follow you...but I may have to come back to you on that, or if you could explain in more detail...when you say the two extra blocks...which ones were you meaning...God I do get myself confused never mind others tee hee!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

patricej 06-29-2008 01:23 AM

since i only saw 6 of the "star" blocks in the photo, plus the checkerboard, i didn't know you had 6 of each type. my suggestion was based on that. given 12 pieced blocks altogether, my idea would be unneccessary. :)

Izy 06-29-2008 02:42 AM

I see where your coming from now Patrice, sorry I should have made it clearer, I only made up one block to see if it worked first.....I don't know....these newbies.... :roll: :wink: :lol:

sandpat 06-29-2008 04:51 AM

I think it looks great Izy. I do like the idea of showcasing some of your quilting in the white squares. I certainly don't think there is anything in the world wrong with combining more than 1 block pattern in a quilt.

DA Mayer 06-29-2008 05:11 AM

I think it looks awesome. Fun just to juggle things around and come up with something so pretty.

Izy 06-29-2008 05:36 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys...I am enjoying learning a new technique as I have only done english paper piecing really and foundation piecing, I was abit scared of just seaming........but I think I like it now!!
It wasn't as bad as I thought....think I am too much of a perfectionist - just ask Elle!!! :roll: :D