Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Deluxe Denim King-Size quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/deluxe-denim-king-size-quilt-t317351.html)

Three Dog Night 01-19-2022 08:44 AM

Awesome quilt. Love the pockets.

quiltscapades 01-19-2022 09:38 AM

I could have sworn this quilt was about 25 pounds - that's what it felt like! The quilt actually weighs around 13 pounds, :). Still, if you ever need a "weighted" blanket, just make it out of old Levis! I think there were about 20 pairs, and many of the fronts were too shredded to use, but they were king-sized, so we got a lot of squares from each pair.

quiltscapades 01-19-2022 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8531763)
Great Quilt!

Totally curious how many pairs of jeans were "sacrificed" for this masterpiece?
(... as I sit amazed that any guy gave up his much loved jeans,
while they were still usable!)

Not sacrificed, just repurposed when they were too worn out. I cut around most of the holey parts. I did include some to give the quilt character.

quiltscapades 01-19-2022 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by toogie (Post 8532019)
I absolutely love it! It’s the best demon quilt I’ve seen and I made a few of them myself. Thank you for all the information about how you accomplished the whole quilt. You didn’t state the finish size but I’m guessing about 98 x 105. I made a queen size for my grandson and the weight is really something! My last few denim quilts have been throw size because of this. I really like the weight as a throw. I guess growing up we were weighed down with quilts because no heat at night so I like a little weight. I made a throw with denim, no batting, and a soft fleece/Minky type backing. It wraps around you good to cuddle and watch TV. My plan was to give for charity but I’m having a difficult time letting this one go.-lol Congratulations on a great idea and finish! I hope your sister takes you out to eat, at least, for making this Monster of a quilt for her friend!-Toogie
ps.Did you quilt this on a programmable long arm? I can’t imagine struggling with this on a long arm where you have to move the quilt instead of the machine.

Thanks! It measures 105 x 105, a nice king-sized quilt. And I did quilt it on a computerized longarm, with a less-dense motif so I didn't have to fight with too many bulky intersections or seams.

quiltscapades 01-19-2022 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm (Post 8532104)
This is remarkable. I'm astonished at how well the "buffalo plaid" came out - so convenient that he had such a nice variety of tones in his castoffs! I am also curious as to its weight and the practicality of washing it, but I would still like one for myself all the same!

Thanks so much! At first they brought me only one shade of denim. He must have liked a certain brand! - but he wanted it to look like patchwork, so asked for a few dark pants, which they found at Goodwill. When I ran out of light squares, I flipped over the medium-toned squares to the back side, which gave enough contrast to create the design.

It only weighs 13 pounds, wayyyy less than I thought it was. I wonder about washing it too! He'll have to take it to a laundry mat with oversized washing machines.

quiltscapades 01-19-2022 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8531795)
You did a wonderful job with this quilt! The quilting is perfect for the quilt. That had to have been hard to wrangle under a sewing machine. What a good friend you are.

Thank you so much! I sewed it in 3 columns so it was ok to manage putting together. Then quilted on the longarm, thank heaven for that! The wrangling came when I added the binding, then added pockets after it was quilted, especially that center pocket! I may or may not have broken a couple of needles...

QuiltE 01-19-2022 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltscapades (Post 8532206)
Not sacrificed, just repurposed when they were too worn out. I cut around most of the holey parts. I did include some to give the quilt character.

Ahhh yes, re-purposed might be the better word!!
Though, in knowing how attached guys can be to their jeans ...
... I was thinking he might think of it as a sacrifice!!

ItsJustMe 01-19-2022 10:54 AM

Bravo!! What a beautiful project! :thumbup:

quiltscapades 01-21-2022 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8531792)
Beautiful job! Did you weigh it in the end. Just curious. Bet it will wear like iron.

I thought it was much heavier than it is! It only weighs 13 pounds! Felt like 40!

CaleyH 01-21-2022 06:56 PM

Amazing quilt from material I never would have considered. The guy has got to love it.