Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Do we keep our very first quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/do-we-keep-our-very-first-quilt-t49616.html)

SuziC 06-16-2010 04:00 PM

I am sure you will treasure that always!

Evie 06-16-2010 04:26 PM

My first quilt was made for a gift. I've made only nine quilts, eight of which were gifts. Last year I finally decided to make one for myself. Yeah!

Melinda in Tulsa 06-16-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Sadly, my first quilt was made in 1790 when I was in nursing school. It was from a Simplicity pattern and the instructions didn't say anything about 1/4" seams so I did the usual 5/8" seams and pressed them open. It was for my baby sisters' bed. The fabrics were a solid and floral each of a pastel pink, blue, and green. The pattern was a pinwheel. All went well till the quilting part...that's when I could have used a little hands on instruction! I tied it in each quadrant and in the center. Can you imagine?! The girls loved it but needless to say the first time it got laundered it turned into a lumpy, bumpy mess. So, it is now disintegrating in the Salisbury landfill!

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
This was my first quilt ever. I thought about putting it on my etsy site. Did you guys keep your first quilt?

Wow Dixie Chunk...you must be REALLY OLD :lol: :lol: 1790??

dixiechunk 06-16-2010 05:36 PM

Oops, and I always say I can't do paper-piecing 'cause I'm not dyslexic! Better make that 1970, I'm getting old but not THAT old. Did they even have nurses in 1790?

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Sadly, my first quilt was made in 1790 when I was in nursing school. It was from a Simplicity pattern and the instructions didn't say anything about 1/4" seams so I did the usual 5/8" seams and pressed them open. It was for my baby sisters' bed. The fabrics were a solid and floral each of a pastel pink, blue, and green. The pattern was a pinwheel. All went well till the quilting part...that's when I could have used a little hands on instruction! I tied it in each quadrant and in the center. Can you imagine?! The girls loved it but needless to say the first time it got laundered it turned into a lumpy, bumpy mess. So, it is now disintegrating in the Salisbury landfill!

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
This was my first quilt ever. I thought about putting it on my etsy site. Did you guys keep your first quilt?

Wow Dixie Chunk...you must be REALLY OLD :lol: :lol: 1790??

Joe 06-16-2010 05:46 PM

I gave mine to my nephew on the day he was born. My quilts make me happiest when someone is enjoying them. Although I did have him in mind when I designed it. Also have yet to finish quilt #2 so maybe I'm not the best person to give advise.(I'm giving #2 to my son)

adrianlee 06-16-2010 05:47 PM

[quote=vjengels]I lost my 'first' quilt sometime not too long after I made it; I think it went the same way as various blankets, towels and sheets... my ex never seemed to have a drop cloth on the job when he needed it...

EEEeeew! We just celebrated our 38th year together. Our first year of marriage was quite a learning experience for both of us. One morning I came out in the yard and notice hubby was working on his motorcycle and had a white kitchen towel laying on the seat. I went out and checked, it was one of the towels my grandmother had embroideried and it had a day of the week on it. I tell you, it hit the fan in big clumps. Then he said, 'well, it can be washed'. I blew up again big time, bigger clumps. He never did that again. Since then he asks if I have any old rags he can use.

First quilt. No I never kept it, gave it away as I did the next 4 or 5.

isnthatodd 06-16-2010 05:54 PM

I can't even remember when I started quilting or what my first quilt was, but I'm pretty sure I gave it to someone, as I have all of them. I have a couple here that are the kids' that come in handy when someone visits. I have tried to remember when I learned, and I hope I have a picture somewhere that will help, if I ever stay off this board long enough to sort them (haha).

anicra 06-16-2010 05:55 PM

I kept mine. It was a Christmas lap quilt done in a snowball pattern. I love it and couldn't imagine parting with it.

Calico Grammy 06-16-2010 06:09 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!!

tortoisethreads 06-16-2010 06:25 PM

I do love it! I think sometimes I feel like trying to sell quilts to support my fabric habit. Hubby said to keep it for a granddaughter some day! Gosh, our kids and young! It is one of my favorites!