Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ first queen size quilt on regular machine - WOW! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-first-queen-size-quilt-regular-machine-wow-t144251.html)

callie 08-11-2011 09:49 AM

shirleyd-I was born in longmont and raised in Boulder and moved back to Longmont as an adult. Now I'm in Texas (LOL)... Your quilt is stunning. I love the colors and you did a great job on the quilting. No wonder DH loves it, but machine quilting a queen IS indeed very, very hard. Enjoy that beauitful quilt and Colorado. Congrats-Callie

Crafty Darlene 08-11-2011 09:55 AM

Looks great to me! I only ever done SID or surpentine on mine.

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Looks great! Was that with or without a walking foot? I don't have one, but hope that when I get one it will make my quilting easier and better.

Thanks. I used a walking foot for the straight stitching and a darning foot for the FMQ. I actually enjoy the FMQ but it can be very frustrating too, if you get too carried away!! :lol:

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:16 AM

That's a great idea to do "quilt as you go". I've never done that but my SIL showed me how she did one. It looked very nice. Maybe next time!

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:19 AM

A long arm would be fantastic! Unfortunately, I don't have room for one. My SIL has offered me the use of her's but she lives 4 1/2 hours away. I may take her up on it though someday! :thumbup:

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
And that story is why I'm on a quilting strike! Fortunately, I'll be able to buy a long arm at the end of the year. So for now, I'm putting tops with their backs and prepped binding strips on hangers in my closet. I still get to piece and I'll have plenty to practice on when I get my machine.
I HATE wrestling with a quilt!

I just hit reply first to respond to your message so no one knows who I was responding to. :oops: I think it would be fantastic to have a long arm but unfortunately, I don't have room. My SIL offered me the use of hers but she lives 4 1/2 hrs. away. But I may take her up on her offer someday!!

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by callie
shirleyd-I was born in longmont and raised in Boulder and moved back to Longmont as an adult. Now I'm in Texas (LOL)... Your quilt is stunning. I love the colors and you did a great job on the quilting. No wonder DH loves it, but machine quilting a queen IS indeed very, very hard. Enjoy that beauitful quilt and Colorado. Congrats-Callie

Sorry you're no longer here! Hope you like Texas. I've lived in both Longmont and Boulder. Colorado is beautiful and we head for the mountains as often as possible.

shnnn 08-11-2011 10:33 AM

I think it looks great! I have found there are a few things I just cant do on my machine! soft curves are one of them, it's too hard for me to move the bulk of the quilt smoothly and consistantly -- you did fantastic!

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by macygma
very pretty I love the colors and you did good! from another Coloradoan

I grew up in Grand Junction but have been here since 1961. Still have relatives there, though. It sure has grown since I lived there!

shirleyd 08-11-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by josie bass
Iy is beautiful, do yoou have a pattern or is this your own design.

It's a pattern from a 2011 quilting calender called Triangle Plaids. I didn't use only plaids. I understand some quilters are able to design their own but I can't even imagine that! It would be very rewarding to be able to do it though.