Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fugly Orange Baby Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fugly-orange-baby-quilt-t187086.html)

marla 04-26-2012 09:21 AM

My questions is, why is s he not liked? Would she appreciate a handmade quilt? Just because you have made quilts for others, does not mean it should be done for everyone. A nice card could be meaningful to her, or not. My prayers are for your best decision.

Pat G 04-26-2012 09:48 AM

Oh my gosh, I think it's beaut. I'm just coming to love orange & I hear that "orange" is the new favorite color this yr. I really love this quilt.

I think it's wonderful of you to gift your work to people even if you don't care for them. Just offer your gift & let it go. Don't even think of opening a can of worms by asking what color she likes. Just hand over the gift.

Again, I think it's beaut.

Pat

margecam52 04-26-2012 10:41 AM

Is it because you are not a fan of orange? The quilt is pretty, and looks well made. I'd be happy to recieve one this color. I agree with the others, you are being way to hard on yourself!

Originally Posted by Canada Kate (Post 5167293)
This pattern was from a post on this board last fall. I made it but I think it's hideous and I don't know what to do with it. I make baby quilts for anyone in my office who is expecting, and this now in my stash of baby quilts that I make and keep on hand. When I find out that someone is pregnant, I get my spies to find out if they know the sex, and based on that, I select one from my stash and make a customized label for that person.

Anyway, this quilt was a big challenge. I followed the directions on the link (which you can find in the first sentence of this post), but I had a lot of difficulty getting the pieces to align properly in each block. It seemed that some of the individual pieces were off by 1/4 to 1/2" and there was no reason for it because I measured and re-measured. The blocks on the back are ones that would not fit in the front because they were too small to fit into the proper block size. As a result of this problem, the front of the quilt is not straight and when you look at it up close, you can see where the fabric is a bit skewed in places where I had to stretch it to align with the next piece. I quilted it using zig-zag SITD, thinking that zig-zagging would hide some of the imperfections, but it still looks crappy to me. :-(

Anyway, I think it's way too fugly to give to anyone. What do you think? Should I maybe give it to charity? It's all done and ready to go. There is a girl at my work who is pregnant now that a lot of people don't like. I give quilts to everyone in my branch (there's about 70 people) whether I like them or not, and so I will give one to this girl. I just think it would be mean to stick her with such an ugly creation. Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330263[/ATTACH]
Front (above)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330265[/ATTACH]

Back (above)

nms 04-26-2012 10:48 AM

I don't think it's ugly at all. All the baby things are either green or yellow if you don't know the sex...this would be different. I like it!!!

QUILTNMO 04-26-2012 11:07 AM

i think it looks great!!!

mrs. fitz 04-26-2012 11:14 AM

Not ugly at all, i like it, not just because orange is my favorite color. Don't give it to the unpopular girl at work, if you're going to be nice enough to give her a quilt give one from your heart. This orange one, if you really don't like it give it to Project Linus or another children's charity. Or if it's large enough give it to a senior citizens' center. It's going to make somebody very happy.

pkelly1947 04-26-2012 11:19 AM

I too gave people a quilt when they were pregnant. I would give her one of your very best creations. Being unliked is bad enough in an office. That is as long as her favorite color is not orange

jennifer winters 04-26-2012 12:19 PM

i love orange and i think this is great. , you are hard on yourself

Maria C 04-26-2012 12:25 PM

I think the pattern is great. Love it. For someone that loves orange as a colour then this is for them. I guess that is the most important part to this. Give it to someone who likes orange! It really is a nice quilt pattern.

laceybritt 04-26-2012 12:25 PM

I don't think it is ugly at all!!! The younger ones really like the more modern designs and colors. The want quilts they can use rather than look at lol!!!!