Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/group-obw-floral-master-fabric-t92198.html)

k3n 01-24-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boopey
I'm thinking of ordering more of this fabric too. I've got 60 blocks made that I cut at 4", but I'm thinking I want it longer.

Okay, what color border should I use? I have a mottled orange that I thought for a narrow inner border, but I'm stumped of what color to make the wider outer border.
Also, I'm not sure how to quilt the body of it. Would an allover stipple be right?

I had a strip left over that was too narrow for my quilt, so I'm making a small wall hanging.

As soon as I figure out how to get pictures here, I will post some of what I've done so far.

Thanks in advance for any input....and BTW, I'm loving this fabric and OBW!
~Shirley

I like the idea of the narrow inner, for the outer I'd say pick your favourite colour from the fabric and go with that - I'm tending towards the turquoise myself, I think I've got some batik that is the right shade. :-D Re the quilting, I often just do a wide meander over the body of the quilt - they're so 'busy' I think this is fine. But I've also done a kind of hooked swirl freehand (on Orchidacious that I posted recently) and I've seen some feathered freehand as well which were also cool! Looking forward to seeing your pics! :-D

k3n 01-24-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
Geeez I'm way behind. I just got my test pcs cut yesterday. Didn't want to mess up this fabric so tried it with a less expensive fabric first. I'm going to have to get in gear to catch up with all of you.

I'm leaving mine to ferment - you're fine, this is a marathon, not a sprint. :-D

plainpat 01-24-2011 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to Joanns for cording & noticed clerks moving all the wall fabric to big carts.Just as I passed them, noticed a bolt on top of a cart & here's what I bought.Talk about busy!

Boopey 01-24-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I went to Joanns for cording & noticed clerks moving all the wall fabric to big carts.Just as I passed them, noticed a bolt on top of a cart & here's what I bought.Talk about busy!

But it's so pretty :lol:

It does look so nice with the OBW, I'm happy you were able to find some.
~Shirley

wildyard 01-24-2011 12:02 PM

I might like that fabric more if it didn't have the orange in it, LOL. I am totally oranged out from making an orange quilt for my DGS. But I still love OBWs and will follow you all in this great adventure.

k3n 01-24-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I might like that fabric more if it didn't have the orange in it, LOL. I am totally oranged out from making an orange quilt for my DGS. But I still love OBWs and will follow you all in this great adventure.

:lol: I saw you asking for what to do with your left over orange strips! :lol:

Great job Pat! Now start cutting and tame that busy fabric! :-D

ann clare 01-24-2011 12:04 PM

Great post. Lots of lovely OBW's

wildyard 01-24-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
:lol: I saw you asking for what to do with your left over orange strips! :lol:
:-D

Now wouldn't you all love some nice scrappy orange strips to use for borders around your lovely OBWs? LMBO

QM 01-24-2011 03:00 PM

I am not an orange type person. I have made 3 (I think) orange quilts, although I often use orange in scrappies. I think the amount of orange in this fabric might have prevented me from buying it, if I'd seen it. The results, however, are spectacular.

k3n 01-25-2011 02:28 AM

I'm just quilting another OBW (Tipping the Scales) which is a dragon print and has lots of orange in it and I'm planning orange flames in the black outer border, so I'll probably be joining the 'oranged out' club myself soon! LMBO