Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/group-obw-floral-master-fabric-t92198.html)

k3n 02-13-2011 03:07 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Have just looked at Wickipedia and can't quote the meaning here. I never realised it was vulgar. Suffice it to say that it comes from Cockney rhyming slang which is a kind of speech used in London where a word is replaced by one it rhymes with. For eg the 'road' is known as 'the frog and toad' and often now abbreviated to 'frog'. 'Stairs' are 'apples and pairs' 'wife' is 'trouble and strife' and so on. They say this language was developed initially by gangsters as a kind of code to dupe the police but now everyone knows it - even non-Londoners like me. :-D

plainpat 02-13-2011 03:15 AM

Hello all. Been checking out your pics & they look good.I did start another OBW.Have cut a couple doz blocks with the floral master fabric......
Finally figured why I didn't care for my blocks.They all look the same.Yours have many patches of diff colors in your OBW,no matter what fabric is used.Mine is now a UFO :)

k3n 02-13-2011 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Hello all. Been checking out your pics & they look good.I did start another OBW.Have cut a couple doz blocks with the floral master fabric......
Finally figured why I didn't care for my blocks.They all look the same.Yours have many patches of diff colors in your OBW,no matter what fabric is used.Mine is now a UFO :)

Pat, this fabric isn't really going to be one of those 'in your face' OBWs as the jewel tones do blend so well. I think it will be more a subtle beauty with the gold tones. Having seen your blocks, they don't look too different from mine - the layout intensifies the effect of the different colours. However I'm planning to embellish mine with some applique. The cubes would work too, as would some multiple different colour borders. I'm sad that yours is a UFO but look forward to seeing your other one. :-D

omak 02-13-2011 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have just looked at Wickipedia and can't quote the meaning here. I never realised it was vulgar. Suffice it to say that it comes from Cockney rhyming slang which is a kind of speech used in London where a word is replaced by one it rhymes with. For eg the 'road' is known as 'the frog and toad' and often now abbreviated to 'frog'. 'Stairs' are 'apples and pairs' 'wife' is 'trouble and strife' and so on. They say this language was developed initially by gangsters as a kind of code to dupe the police but now everyone knows it - even non-Londoners like me. :-D

Clearly, wickipedia is not in the business of clarifying anything - - but, sure does use a lot of words to avoid it! LOL <wave> I would have to say that the mickey thing would not be one of my chosen responses for anything, but sometimes, my chosen responses aren't worth using, either <g> part of my country charm, don't you know ..... LOL <wave>

plainpat 02-13-2011 04:19 AM

Both are cousins in the same UFO pile :)

I'm sad that yours is a UFO but look forward to seeing your other one.

Patched 02-13-2011 05:24 AM

Beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest.

daisey 02-13-2011 06:13 AM

I went onto Joannes inwhich I am a big regular there and searched out one of the good ladies there. Told her my concerns and she started checking foir me. Gave me a call about an hour later and said supposedly its in her stock room somewhere? They unloaded it Thursday and had a bad truck unloader that day and is going to try and find on Monday. My luck someone put it out on the sales floor I will go check today...At least I know its there somewhere...

sandpat 02-13-2011 08:01 AM

Well girls, I'm looking for pics!!!! I did find an education on "mickey" and lots of other London cockney...wife="trouble and strife" :shock:...surely you jset!!

Daisey, sure hope you find that fabric...

jtapp9 02-13-2011 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my progress. First you must imagine this picture flipped to the right :). Because of the size of it hanging, it is technically on its side. That cream will end up beign the upper right corner.

As of now, hanging there, I have 5 rows on the left and 3 rows on the right sewed together. ALL of the strip sets are sewn into strips.

I have a lot of bubbles because I didn't know how wonderful starch is when I started this project :oops: . I'm just using massive blasts of steam for now to wrinkle the block up enough to cause the shape to lay flat within the quilt top. I'll probably iron those out when I go to qult it, simply because I know when it is washed it will have some shrinkage anyway, which will definately help wiht the bubbles :)

I'm excited to get this finished. It's amazing how different those hexes look sewed together compared to just being pinned!

jtapp9 02-13-2011 09:38 AM

I only bought 4 yrds of the floral fabric. Am I gonna need more? I would like my final quilt to be at least queen size, but the blocks really just need to cover the top of te mattress, 60 x 80. Guess I should check that out in the book...lol