Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Have a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/have-question-t79189.html)

joeyoz 11-28-2010 08:54 AM

He's not the one using it. Give it to her and tell her if she really doesn't like the fabric you can make her another one with fabric she likes.

IrishNY 11-28-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
I think I would let her see the purse saying it was for someone else then get her opinion on what she thinks of the fabric. If she likes it great if not find out what she would like if it was for her. Or you could wrap it and give it with a note saying it is a prototype and you will go together to choose fabric after Xmas. I love yor purse!

I like the Prototype idea. Then she can tell you if she likes the pattern and/or the fabric with no pressure.

What pattern did you use? I love the shape of the bag.

quiltsRfun 11-28-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by loya99

Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
The purse is lovely......but if you are not sure....trust your gut feelings. You could let future DIL pick out the fabric and make another one?

I agree, if you don't feel good about it, take her to the local quilt store to pick out her material and then make it for her.

Sounds like good advice. Or you could slyly ask her opinion on a couple of fabrics and see what her tastes are. She might catch on to what you're doing but that would be pretty much the same as taking here to the store to choose.

SewExtremeSeams 11-28-2010 09:19 AM

Charlene, the purse you made is beautiful and looks very well made. I am sure your to-be DIL will love it. Perhaps your son that made the comment didn't realize the power his words spoke to you. Please don't let it trip you up. You thought about her when you picked the fabric and made the purse. I am sure she will be quite pleased.

:-D

mzsooz 11-28-2010 09:46 AM

she will love it. Men are grumps. Don't listen to them.

franie 11-28-2010 10:23 AM

I think it is cute! I like it.

CoyoteQuilts 11-28-2010 10:35 AM

I am sneaky sometimes and leave some material laying around or start discussing fabrics with who I want to make something for and that way I find out what they like. Some I know, others it's hard. I'd probably play the 'I don't know if I really like this one' game with her.

grann of 6 11-28-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I am sneaky sometimes and leave some material laying around or start discussing fabrics with who I want to make something for and that way I find out what they like. Some I know, others it's hard. I'd probably play the 'I don't know if I really like this one' game with her.

Yes, I have done that. I show the person in question my new stash and watch for reactions. I am usually right, but occasionally they throw me a curve.

lalaland 11-28-2010 10:41 AM

I like it too but I agree with several of the others - make a second one and let her pick. If she can't pick between the 2 then you have a gift for now AND a gift for Christmas!

MaryStoaks 11-28-2010 10:52 AM

Give it to her! My son said his wife has too many purses and didn't need another. I figured she likes purses and could always use one more. She loves the one I made her. Men just don't get it. :thumbup: