Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Have a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/have-question-t79189.html)

chamby 11-28-2010 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chamby
I made this purse for my future daugther in law. My son turned up his nose at the fabric I used. Now I do not know whether to give it to her or make another one. What do you think?

Well I just could not stand it. So at church this morning I let her know that I was going to give her the purse for her Bday. I ask her to be totally honest with me that it would not hurt my feelings. I want it to be a purse that she likes. When we got home from lunch I gave it to her. She loved it except for the button choice. So I let her pick out her buttons. Here is the purse with the new buttons. I agree , I like these buttons better. Now I have to come up with another Christmas gift for her. But at least I feel better at the choice now.
Oh, for the one who ask what pattern this is, it is the buttercup pattern enlarged and altered for extra pockets inside.

lynnie 11-28-2010 12:25 PM

men don't know much about fabrics unless they're a quilter or designer.
Nuff said

cjomomma 11-28-2010 12:26 PM

See now that wasn't so bad!! Tell your son not to be so judgemental next time.

quiltluvr 11-28-2010 01:00 PM

That's what I would do too. But then, I'm the world's worst gift giver. As much as I want it to be a surprise, I depend on the recipient's input because I want them to be happy, not for my sake and fake it, but to really love it. I don't like to trust my tastes.

(Oops, it didn't show the quote to let her choose the fabric AND I posted this without seeing your outcome.)

Glad it worked out for you both.

anicra 11-28-2010 01:02 PM

What?? Did it not go with his shoes? Your DIL will love it. you did a wonderful job.

dsb38327 11-28-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
How often do you see the girl? Could you use scraps of the fabric and make some random blocks.... casually show them to her like you're going to make a quilt ... and get her reaction? I have a co-worker who was making another co-worker a "mommy" quilt for her baby shower. She brought the fabric in the office and left it out for the new "mommy" to get a glance. From her reaction, she knew the choice was right. The new mom had no idea at the time that the quilt would be given to her.

BTW... I love the purse... and don't think you should take your son's comment to heart to much. I'm with the crowd... what do boys know? lol

Agreed.
I really like the purse. It doesn't seem fair for her to be robbed of her gift because someone who doesn't carry a purse didn't care for the fabric. Is it possible to get her idea about the fabric you used without her knowing it is fabric for her?
I would gift it to her. What are you going to lose? You already have it made. If your happiness about it has been taken away then give it to her, tell her the story and have her go into your stash to choose the fabric for her Birthday or Christmas purse.
Oh, by the way, I think if she didn't like your taste she probably would not have asked you to make her a purse. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
On Edit:
So glad you gifted it to her and she liked it.

hannajo 11-28-2010 01:47 PM

The moral of this story - men don't know about purses.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 11-28-2010 01:50 PM

I think you should make her a different one and send me that one. haha. Seriously, if you are going to fret until Christmas, and if you have time, make another one then give her the choice of which one she likes best. Then you will have an extra one for yourself or someone else.

noveltyjunkie 11-28-2010 05:54 PM

Delighted you got it sorted, and especially glad that she loves it!!

Cyn 11-28-2010 05:55 PM

I really like it!