Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Hot pads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/hot-pads-t23351.html)

bearisgray 07-28-2009 08:44 AM

very nice

do you have a tutorial for how to make them?

Rhonda 07-28-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
very nice

do you have a tutorial for how to make them?

Thanks - there is a project section on my free website that shows the directions for making a hotpad my way.

www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com

*QuilterWannabee* 07-28-2009 10:27 AM

Wow they're all so different but equally great looking!

motomom 07-28-2009 10:30 AM

These are so awesome! Very inspirational for Christmas Gifts this year!

bearisgray 07-28-2009 11:04 AM

I found the site, but I don't understand this part:

"Find the side opposite to the loop. Fold back the backing fabric to expose the border underneath. Sew a basting seam along the edge. Flip the fold back into place over the border."

I think I'm okay until I get to the picture - and then I don't quite know what/how to to the next step.

When the pot holder is turned right side out, do all the seams end up on the batting side or the backing side?

(I suppose I could go downstairs and just try it - but that would be way too easy :? )

Rhonda 07-28-2009 11:31 AM

I found the site, but I don't understand this part:

"Find the side opposite to the loop. Fold back the backing fabric to expose the border underneath. Sew a basting seam along the edge. Flip the fold back into place over the border."

I think I'm okay until I get to the picture - and then I don't quite know what/how to to the next step.

When the pot holder is turned right side out, do all the seams end up on the batting side or the backing side?

(I suppose I could go downstairs and just try it - but that would be way too easy :? )

If I understand what you are asking the seams will be on the inside when you turn the hotpad right side out. You won't see any seams.

When you have your sandwich with the back fabric wrong side out on top and the batting underneath with the pieced top face down onto the batting in the middle of the sandwich. Then you sew on the backing from the bottom around til you get back to the bottom. Leave an opening.
When you pull the fabric through the opening and straighten it all out you will have all the stitching on the inside. The back fabric will be on the back right side out and the pieced top will be facing you right side out and the batting will be on the inside.

Does that help?

hokieappmom 07-28-2009 11:42 AM

Have you posted some bookmarks? The hot pads are gorgeous. What do you put inside them?

bearisgray 07-28-2009 11:44 AM

Thank you for responding - I'll just go do one or two and then I'll understand what I'm doing.

The shoelace part for the hanger was informative. Do you give it an extra couple of stitches to make sure it doesn't come out/off?

Rhonda 07-28-2009 11:54 AM

Thank you for responding - I'll just go do one or two and then I'll understand what I'm doing.

The shoelace part for the hanger was informative. Do you give it an extra couple of stitches to make sure it doesn't come out/off?

I backstitch the heck out of them so they won't pull out. Then when you sew over them when you sew around the edge I also make sure I catch the tail that is inside when I sew the finish seam. I backstitch a couple of times over that tail also. You won't see the tail inside but you can feel it.

bearisgray 07-28-2009 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

I backstitch the heck out of them so they won't pull out. Then when you sew over them when you sew around the edge I also make sure I catch the tail that is inside when I sew the finish seam. I backstitch a couple of times over that tail also. You won't see the tail inside but you can feel it.

:D