Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How much do you sell your Bow Tucks for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-much-do-you-sell-your-bow-tucks-t138783.html)

IrelandDragonQuilting 07-21-2011 08:43 PM

Well I have to admit, I use to purchase only Coach and Dooney and Bourke, however.... I sold off most of them, I have fallen in love with the bowtucks!! I like the feel, the pockets and most of all the room and how easy everything is to get to when needed. With my Coach bags, they were bottomless pits with a small interior pocket and nothing else. The Dooney's sure had those hand dandy cell phone pockets that the cell phone did not like to hang out in and would jump ship whenever possible. Now I have a new bag for every month, some I have made, some I have purchased and Holiday ones, I am currently working on a Halloween one!

Valerie Scherr 07-21-2011 09:01 PM

When I sell my totes I double what it costs me to make so usually about the 40 to 50 dollar mark...Those darn buttons are even expensive...LOL>

Jammin' Jane 07-21-2011 09:10 PM

$38 for the Mini Bow Tuck
$48 for the Bow Tuck

Good luck. Let us know how your event turns out!

willquilt81 07-22-2011 02:12 AM

According to copyright laws, my interpretation is that you cannot sell them at a church bazzarr...when you buy a pattern it is for your personal use only.

Debbie B 07-22-2011 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by willquilt81
According to copyright laws, my interpretation is that you cannot sell them at a church bazzarr...when you buy a pattern it is for your personal use only.

just do not forget the following info from Penny's website!

Frequently Asked Questions

Making bags for resale?

Can I make your tote bags for resale?

Yes, as long as you are making them by hand on your home sewing machine and the bags are not mass-produced. We also request design credit when selling the bags. This can be a simple as a card included with the bag that says "Designed by Quiltsillustrated"

A board member posted this for me and I do make them on my home sewing machine & I will plan on putting a card in the pocket that states the above. I'm thankful to jaciqltznok for letting me know this.

frarose 07-22-2011 08:14 AM

What part of Missouri do you live in?

Originally Posted by crossginny
When I make a Bow Tucks with the length handles that the pattern calls for, I sell them for $75 ......if I make them with a longer handle, I get $80.
for the mini one, I get $50.
I tell those who ask about them, that I'm using high-quality all cotton fabric, and that it takes me 6 to 8 hours to make one.......and that does not count the time I spend shopping for fabrics that coordinate and look nice together.
I also offer the option of a custom made bag.......I take the customer with me to shop for the fabrics....
And they must pay 1/2 of the price up front.
I have calculated the cost to me and it is easily $35 to $40 per bag.
ginny

Winkee 07-22-2011 07:07 PM

I think your prices are spot on! Great luck with your show.

andifar 07-22-2011 07:42 PM

I paid $75 for my Vera Bradley bag. Your bow tucks are just as nice if not nicer. Be firm and be proud of your fine work.

sewellie 07-22-2011 07:48 PM

Absolutely keep your price at what you said. If someone doesn't like the price, let them make thier own. Don't give in. They couldn't buy it anywhere else for that price! Good lucky to you.

daisey 07-22-2011 08:32 PM

I bought a bag pattern and email the maker and asked if I could make the bags and sell them and she said yes,,,so I dont think selling the bags are wrong just making copies of patterns and selling is what they dont like at least most of them..