Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How much do you sell your Bow Tucks for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-much-do-you-sell-your-bow-tucks-t138783.html)

hpylady 07-20-2011 09:27 PM

Very pretty colors. I love that first one. You do an outstanding job!

Love your kitchen too, so clean and shiny, beautiful what nots!

Pat G 07-21-2011 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I have about 20 Bow Tucks bags made. I'm going to be in a Christmas Craft festival at my church come Nov. I've made table runners, purses, lap quilts and such. I was going to charge $30 for the mini Bow Tucks and $40 for the larger one. Most all are made with designer or drapery fabrics. My friend thinks that I'm going to be too expensive and she says I may not sell any. She says $12 - $15 for the mini & about $20 for the larger one. I wouldn't break even after buying fabric, supplies & my time sewing them. She burst my bubble. What is the going rate for them? Below are a few bags.

When I first made my 3, I ck'd Ebay to see what they were listed for. It was $45-$60. When I tried to sell mine to friends who just had to have one I told them I'd take $45. They all ran like rabbits. They just don't realize how much work goes into them. I'd love to make more but they'd just stack up. I can't figure out whether they made me angry or hurt my feelings. I might have even give a cpl. of them one as gifts til they hurt my feellings.
I'd be insulted if somebody told me the prices yours told you of $15--$20.

GladGrams 07-21-2011 01:44 AM

IMHO it all depends on the quality of one's work. If the work is excellent and the fabrics and trims used are of a high quality, then charging a "fair market" price is proper.

I have seen some pieces at local sales etc that look about as home-made as they can be and I am not going to spend my money on them. However, when I see something that screams quality and style, I'll go over budget just to own it, if I like it.

Sadly, beauty depends on the eye of the beholder and not the seller. It is always a good idea to check out high end objects of the kind one wants to make and sell before choosing fabric and pattern.

I like your purses and think $30 - $40 is a fair price. :thumbup:

Carol W 07-21-2011 02:02 AM

Beautiful bags!!

Shelbie 07-21-2011 03:21 AM

Your selling price quandry is exactly why I won't make crafts to sell at any church bazar or craft show. It is never a money making proposition for the stitcher and you probably do well if you even get the price of your fabrics back. Your bags are fabulous and you should be given enough to pay for your fabric and some for your time. Your prices are resonable but the crowd at the sale are probably expecting a bargain. Just don't let it be at your expense.

QultingaddictUK 07-21-2011 03:26 AM

My friend in the USA sells her's for $40 and I was more than willing to pay that for it as it is gorgeous, don't under-price your lovely bags they are unique and so pretty.

BMP 07-21-2011 03:34 AM

Have you ck'd the Vera Bradley ones out....they go for upwards of $50 and not as nice...I think you on track with your pricing

JCL in FL 07-21-2011 05:35 AM

I think your prices are fine and they will go at that price. They are worth more than that but if you want to sell all of them, that's a good price. I think the most important thing is the fabric, if it's popular, they will sell. I like the idea of a Christmas bag, one you only used during the holidays. Clever.

liondenise 07-21-2011 05:42 PM

look on Ebay and see what the average price is

crossginny 07-21-2011 05:56 PM

When I make a Bow Tucks with the length handles that the pattern calls for, I sell them for $75 ......if I make them with a longer handle, I get $80.
for the mini one, I get $50.
I tell those who ask about them, that I'm using high-quality all cotton fabric, and that it takes me 6 to 8 hours to make one.......and that does not count the time I spend shopping for fabrics that coordinate and look nice together.
I also offer the option of a custom made bag.......I take the customer with me to shop for the fabrics....
And they must pay 1/2 of the price up front.
I have calculated the cost to me and it is easily $35 to $40 per bag.
ginny