Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How would you fix this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-would-you-fix-t147192.html)

GwynR 08-23-2011 05:57 AM

I like the sailboat idea too, with what Charismah said. No need to pull out the hand stitching, just quilt the applique! It will look fabulous!

charismah 08-23-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine

Originally Posted by charismah
OK well..Then I would make a frame of palm leaves and tropical rainforest type leaves..around the edges...like someone is looking through the rainforest..and then put the sail boat in the middle..so they see the sail boat in the distance...you could also add some beach..water designs in the quilting...it would be fabulous!

I got a visual of what you're thinking. How would I get the depth in there? I can see it in my head but not sure how to translate it to fabric. I'm afaraid I have a mess on my hands. So you think I need to rip out all the hand quilting? Oh barf! Aren't the colors pretty though?

Well to get the depth you would make the trees, leaves and tropical flowers bigger..and the boat smaller..I would just add some water applique designs around the boat..you can strategically place them so they cover the bad spots.

alaskasunshine 08-23-2011 06:01 AM

OK well..Then I would make a frame of palm leaves and tropical rainforest type leaves..around the edges...like someone is looking through the rainforest..and then put the sail boat in the middle..so they see the sail boat in the distance...you could also add some beach..water designs in the quilting...it would be fabulous!

I got a visual of what you're thinking. How would I get the depth in there? I can see it in my head but not sure how to translate it to fabric. I'm afaraid I have a mess on my hands. So you think I need to rip out all the hand quilting? Oh barf! Aren't the colors pretty though?

Well to get the depth you would make the trees, leaves and tropical flowers bigger..and the boat smaller..I would just add some water applique designs around the boat..you can strategically place them so they cover the bad spots.

Holy moly girl do you ever sleep :lol:
There are so many great ideas coming through :thumbup:
Good morning by the way ;-) and God bless you!

charismah 08-23-2011 06:02 AM

Also if you are worried about getting puckers by quilting over the hand quilting to add some water dimension you could always just add a backing..and quilt it on your friend's long arm..that way you can add veins to the leaves...water designs..and define everything a bit more...just roll over the back to form a new binding over the old one...of cut it off right at the binding and re bind it. That would be WAY better than ripping out stitches.

charismah 08-23-2011 06:04 AM

Holy moly girl do you ever sleep :lol:
There are so many great ideas coming through :thumbup:
Good morning by the way ;-) and God bless you!

Sleep?? What is sleep? I don't compute??
Yes I slept a solid 4-5 hours last night...I think I am stressed about school. LOL
Good morning to you! God bless you too!

alaskasunshine 08-23-2011 07:53 AM

Off to work soon. I hope to see lots more thoughts on fixing this beautiful quilt. Bad bad doggy :lol:

nativetexan 08-23-2011 08:11 AM

yes an applique of some sort, even large flowers!

callie 08-23-2011 10:00 AM

Charisma's idea is awesome and I love the quilt. So glad it found a good and loving home!

COYOTEMAGIC 08-23-2011 10:03 AM

I think big bright flowers like Hibiscus and Bird of Paradise appliques would just pop off of there.

alaskasunshine 08-23-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
I think big bright flowers like Hibiscus and Bird of Paradise appliques would just pop off of there.

I love that idea! :thumbup: My dad used to grow both of those.