Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I finished this - but .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-finished-but-t37835.html)

brwnntwn 02-25-2010 08:35 AM

Wow! Thanks everybody! I have tears in my eyes from all the "kindness of strangers". The center blocks are embroidered and, were I to do this again, I'd use a darker sashing around them. I am so glad I found this place!

mytwopals 02-25-2010 08:38 AM

Technically, I see nothing wrong with it. It's a very nice quilt. :thumbup: Personally, maybe just needs a dog to chase away all those kitties. :lol:

wishiwerequilting 02-25-2010 09:09 AM

what is it that bothers you? obviously we all think it looks fine!

Bobbinwinder 02-25-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by brwnntwn
See the pretty quilt! This is only the third quilt I've ever made. I gave it as a christmas gift but really, was not happy with it - can any of you experienced quilters tell me what is wrong with this? It just does not look right and I am not sure why. I appreciate your feed back.

Your third quilt? Wow...you've got some skills! This quilt has much going for it and deserving of all the nice things that have been said...you should be proud. I'm really impressed that you asked why it is not a pleasing to your eye as you would have liked and can't isolate the cause. Think about scale...all the blocks are bold in size of piece and in color...except the 4 embroidered blocks which seem too light in comparison...When you put the 4 of them together in the center, they actually appear even lighter and create a hole for the eye to ignore...I might have tried them in the 4 corners if I really wanted to use them with the others in this quilt....Or made 5 more for a 3x3 with bold sashing for this center. You'll always hear from me and many others that it is your quilt...do what you want, there are no quilt police...respectfully, you did ask...respectfully, look to scale... respectfully, nothing is more impressive to me than someone who seeks to learn and to improve outcomes. My hat is off to you! Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing more of your wonderful work!

Aunt Doggie 02-25-2010 09:42 AM

I am just starting also, and know you put ALOT of work into this!!! Kuddos on all your great work!!
If there is one thing, I am thinking that there is alot of block styles of kitties in this...maybe if you would have limited it to just a few, like using the Siamese, (one of my favorite blocks!) and the leopard and couple other -
My eyes didn't know where to look! These old eyes need to have a pattern to follow in a quilt.... Back and forth, diagonal tip to tip, etc... Does that make any sense? Do I need to just shut up now??? :lol:
Once again, great job!!!

Jingle 02-25-2010 09:51 AM

It looks great to me !!!

Damkina 02-25-2010 09:53 AM

I've looked at your wonderful quilt for quite a while, and the only thing I can see that's wrong with it, is that it's at the wrong address... it should be at mine! :lol:

I think it's so cute and so many kitties all over. For your 3rd quilt I'd say you've got such talant. Well done.

SandyMac 02-25-2010 10:14 AM

Really beautifull :-P

dkabasketlady 02-25-2010 06:14 PM

I don't see a thing wrong with it. What a great job for just your third quilt!!!

zz-pd 02-25-2010 08:42 PM

That is very cute and great art you put into it.