Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I'm upset...he didn't like it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/im-upset-he-didnt-like-t50404.html)

katsewnsew 06-20-2010 04:59 AM

I am so sorry! Lots of hugs to you today! You did a splendid job! We here sure do appreciate your work!

Chele 06-20-2010 05:00 AM

It sure did turn out lovely! I hope you will make more and more beautiful quilts. It's a fun hobby, isn't it?

quiltincharlotte 06-20-2010 05:08 AM

That was rude . . . . if he had made it for you, I am sure you would have thanked him and been more aware of all the work and thought that went into it!! I am sending you a hug, too!!! It is beautiful and I am impressed by all you did!!!!!!

tortoisethreads 06-20-2010 05:18 AM

I think it's beautiful and would look great hanging in YOUR house! I'd go back and get it! I'm sorry that happened. I agree with many, that some people do not understand or appreciate hand made beauty!

Connie 06-20-2010 05:21 AM

I am so sorry for his reaction. One of the first quilts I made was for my in-laws. I traced left hands of each of their children and grandchildren and great granchild, using puff paint around each one because of his failing eyesight he could feel them, 18 handprints in total. They opened the box said "A quilt"..closed the box and it is still in the closet 20 years later...

watson's mom 06-20-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ritauk
This is my first post, I was shocked to read your msg.

I'm still trying to make a whole quilt without making any mistakes and it's taking me forever.

Yours looks wonderful, it's his loss

Ritauk

Hi Rita...stop trying to make a perfect quilt, there is no such thing. What some people call mistakes, others call a design change. Works for me and no-one knows the difference anyway. BTW..welcome to the 'Board from Southern Ontario. There is no better place to be for a quilter, you can learn anything you want about quilting right here. Just ask and many generous quilters will be ready to assist you. Carol

LindaR 06-20-2010 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
This is the first time i have EVER finished a quilt (well this is a wall-hanger), but still, This is the first time i EVER machine quilted and the first time EVER i did binding...I made this for my father for Father's day and gave it to him today. I wanted him to be the first person to ever receive one from me

He flat out told me he didn't really like it, it didn't look patriotic enough for him and actually asked why i would make him something like that...He hurt my feelings sooo bad. I didn't bring it home, i left it at his house...but i know he will never hang it. The VERY first thing ever i made and gave as a gift and it was rejected (by my father no less).

I understand that not everyone has the same taste - but really???? I'm just shocked.

Thanks for listening :-(

do you think the idea of "quilt" is what threw him???? Some men are funny about hand done things...you did the right thing and if he didn't like it shake it off and don't quilt quilting!!!

Roberta 06-20-2010 05:57 AM

It sounds like you have my kind of father, nothing's right or good enough. Your quilt is beautiful and you did a super job and I guess he didn't see the FLAGS in the border?

skavanau 06-20-2010 06:01 AM

How old is your Dad? I think when people get older they just blurt out instead of thinking before they speak. I think its beautiful and you did a wonderful job. Id go back and get it and give it to someone who appreciates the hard work and time you put into it. Give your Dad something else and forget it. You cant change how people think. Think of your next project ......

ftkls501 06-20-2010 06:18 AM

i am sooo sorry that he rejected your quilt It takes alot to make a quilt large or small. I too have some one like that in my family I could go out and buy it and they would not like it those people sure miss out on a blessing