Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I'm upset...he didn't like it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/im-upset-he-didnt-like-t50404.html)

KonaLinda 06-20-2010 07:35 PM

Your wallhanging is beautiful. Retrieve it and hang it on your own wall. Some folks just don't appreciate the work that goes into such a project. We do :-) --Linda--

Lindastaley 06-20-2010 07:49 PM

I thnk it is beautiful! You did a wonderful job on it, and should be proud of it, no matter what he thought! Just a question....how old is your dad? I know mine is older, and isn't the best at showing appreciation for things. I wonder if it might be the same in your case? Here's what mine did when I called him today. He will be 82 in October, and when I called and tried to talk to him to wish him a Happy Father's Day, he told me I needed to switch brands of toilet paper that I use! I got a laugh from it, but his comments didn't always make me laugh! I'm sorry he hurt your feelings, and hope he isn't always that way with you!

EdieClay 06-20-2010 07:52 PM

I am so sorry that your dad didn't appreciate your gift. Sometimes non-quilters don't understand how much of ourselves goes into every piece we make. Although at whatever age we are, we still want our parents' approval. However, don't let someone else dictate how you feel about your work - even your dad. You made it, you like it ... enough said!

fratcat 06-20-2010 07:57 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. Sorry that your dad didn't like it and appreciate all the time and effort that went into it. next year, just get him a gift certificate for some store and see if he likes that. Keep your talents for those that you know will appreciate and enjoy them. You did an excellent job. I hope we are able to see more of your work in the future.

Dani 06-20-2010 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by taiboo
LOL, he is 72 (will be in august) and this is just how he is, but he has never been that way with me.

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
How old is your father? Has he seen a doctor lately? Maybe he's not well?

Maybe he has Alzheimer's Disease. My husband has just recently been diagnosed with AD and I've done a lot of reading on it and it can change his personality (anger etc.) Just a thought. If he has AD, it is not his fault and remember it is just his disease that is causing his rudeness and lack of appreciation for your hard work and kindness. Dani

argranny 06-20-2010 09:07 PM

I have a sister that would love it and she would have said thank you with a big hug and a kiss, you did a great job, just remember it was done with love

Quilter2B 06-20-2010 09:13 PM

Maybe he just doesn't have the "eye" because I think it is gorgeous.

fish92241 06-20-2010 09:30 PM

Go back and get it and keep it for yourself to be proud of. It is lovely. Try to put it behind you and forgive him. You'll feel better then.

Sheree from Chicago 06-20-2010 09:40 PM

I'm hurt for you. I think it was a beautiful Fathers Day gift!

tooMuchFabric 06-20-2010 10:41 PM

After 18 pages of responses, there's not much I can add, except to say that I agree - you made a lovely and very patriotic quilt, and a loving personal gift - and anyone who did not like it just is not with the program.

We cannot make others as nice as we would like them to be, if they are not already that way.

Thank goodness for the folks on this board.