Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 1st Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-1st-quilt-t48649.html)

Gramma B 06-08-2010 07:28 PM

nice job

Sheree from Chicago 06-08-2010 07:47 PM

You did a fabulous job (can't believe it's your first!).

Bev 06-09-2010 08:02 AM

Your teacher must have been one of the best! You did such great job! 8-)

grandma Janice 06-09-2010 10:36 AM

Your first quilt is lovely. I love blues and yellows used together. There are many patterns to choose from, but I would advise you to not choose something that's a very challenging until you get confidence in doing it on your own. However, whatever you decide to do, you will have lots of help here. just ask.

schwanton 06-09-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
I learned how to make this Sample Quilt in an Adult Ed quilting class held at our local highschool. I'm very proud of how this turned out and now am very anxious to "go out on my own". How do you all decide what to work on next??? There are so many projects I want to try!

What a wonderful quilt! I started quilting with a sampler many years ago. It makes you try applique, piecing, curves, etc. Did you quilt it too - it looks like you fmq - nice job!

JCL in FL 06-09-2010 06:50 PM

You did a super job. Doing a sampler exposes you to several different techniques and an excellent way to start. My second quilt was a sampler and I plan to do another sometime.
It's a mystery to me why I make one pattern over another. Most times I have someone in mind to give the quilt to so I gear the quilt in the direction of something I think they would like and the colors I know they would want or could use in their room. But the others are the mystery. I have a list a mile lone of things I want to try and this site exposes me to so many wonderful quilts and I want to make them all. I'll move from different color groups and styles and sometimes get stuck with a certain color for a while. I use to do one quilt at a time, and now I jump around working on three or four at a time and even shelving one for a while for one reason or another. It is a real challenge for me not to go out and buy fabric for quilts I want to make when I know I won't get to them for a while. And sometimes by the time I can start a new project I'm not interested in the one I bought the fabric for. I sound like a scatter brain don't I?

Lori L 06-10-2010 01:56 PM

What a wonderful quilt! I started quilting with a sampler many years ago. It makes you try applique, piecing, curves, etc. Did you quilt it too - it looks like you fmq - nice job![/quote]

I was the only newbie in my class, everyone else was repeat students (and I will be too!) One of my classmates has a longarm quilter and offered to machine quilt it for me and I took her up on the offer. I think it's called a puzzle stitch. I'm currently finishing up a table runner for my Mom and I'm attempting hand quilting for the first time. I'm no where near 8 stiches per inch but I'm staying fairly even in my spacing.

pennyswings 06-10-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
I learned how to make this Sample Quilt in an Adult Ed quilting class held at our local highschool. I'm very proud of how this turned out and now am very anxious to "go out on my own". How do you all decide what to work on next??? There are so many projects I want to try!

WOW!! Great first quilt. Nice sampler.
Let's see how to decide what to do next?? I like to surf the web and look at different sites. Usually one pattern will speak to me.
Sometimes I will find a fabric line that I love then I have to find a pattern that I want to use.
Quite a few times I find my ideas on this board. We have a community of very talented quilters here with some outstanding ideas!! Why not look in the tutorial section you never know what a jewel you may find there. ;-)

Diane007 06-08-2013 06:16 AM

Samplers are always a nice place to start
Happy quilting

lindyb 06-09-2013 08:36 PM

Congratulations on a beautiful quilt.