Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My yard sale find!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-yard-sale-find-t278246.html)

illinois 05-02-2016 04:15 AM

Lucky you---and lucky flimsy that you found it! Somebody put a lot of time and love into creating that. As to the marks--I like the idea of repeating the design in the corners of the border. One of our quilt guild members submitted this to Fons and Porter several years ago and it does work on recent markings. I don't know if it will work on something that has been in place for years.

Combine three parts rubbing alcohol, one part water, and a squirt of CLEAR dish detergent to make a solution to remove pencil marks from fabric. Saturate a cotton ball with the solution and rub over the pencil marks. Leave it overnight and they should disappear.

Otherwise, it may be that you simply need to replace the border.

Quilter 65 05-02-2016 04:16 AM

That is a beautiful quilt.

DianneK 05-02-2016 04:53 AM

O love it when a quilt gets rescued...great find

JaniceP 05-02-2016 05:00 AM

In my early quilting, I marked all over a small quilt with pencil. I quilted it, put a small amount of tide on it, and sprayed with a degreaser, tossed it into the wash as I normally would on warm. It all came out with no pencil marks left. I hope you find the right method for you.

Geri B 05-02-2016 05:02 AM

Suggestions above all sound like they might work......my first thought was an art gum eraser. Very flaky, but gentle eraser.....

luvstoquilt 05-02-2016 05:22 AM

That is really pretty. Exciting find!

QultingaddictUK 05-02-2016 05:24 AM

A beautiful find, don't know about pencil but I know that Hair spray takes out biro pen marks! If you can't remove it can you replace that piece of fabric or applique something to cover?

Kris P 05-02-2016 05:39 AM

I'm with sewbizgirl. I'd embroider or appliqué and embroider the design on opposite corners.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7538460)
How lucky you are! The top is gorgeous! I would try and copy the marks on the opposite corner and hand embroider that design. Then hand quilt the rest, very simply. What a treasure it will be. The fabrics are amazing. So excited for you.

Roberta 05-02-2016 05:40 AM

I assume the person who made this intended to use that as a pattern for quilting. I'd try to copy it to the entire quilt and give quilting on the lines a try.

jmarko 05-02-2016 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7538075)
For $5!! In pristine condition, all hand sewn, quilting marks in pencil on one corner. Any suggestions on how to get them out?

PS - that is a Queen size bed it is shown on.

They have special fabric erasers to remove pencil marks from fabric. I have also successfully removed pencil marks by rubbing stain stick on the marks and leaving for a few days (They say you can leave it up to a week.) and then I washed the top. In some cases it took two tries to get all the marks out.