Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My yard sale score!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-yard-sale-score-t24526.html)

JoyG 08-27-2009 07:37 AM

Lucky you - great looking fabrics; but I really liked your sewing room. I love the table that your machine is sitting in. Was it something you made or did you special order it? Also is your ironing board just sitting on top of a wooden table or is it attached?

bebe 08-27-2009 08:01 AM

That was a good score :!: :!: :D :D . Yesterday I checked Craig's List and found a lady that was liquidating what was left from her quilt store. She sold me Moda and other name brands of fabric for $2 a yard. Great Buy!!!!!!

OrchidQuiltFish(OQF) 08-27-2009 10:26 AM

Congrats on your great fine. Wish we had yard sales like that here in the VI.

hereca622 08-27-2009 10:33 AM

Way to go KWhite! That's why I say," Use your GOOD fabric, because his second wife will sell it in a garage sale for .50 a yard.

Fabric buying question: Buy 100% Cotton. Quilt Shop material is softer, brighter and richer in color, because of the materials and dyes used. ($8-$10 yd.) I have purchased at Walmart ($4), Hancocks & JoAnns ($5-7). The fabric is fine for kid quilts, lap quilts, charity quilts, quillows, totes, etc. Buy the best fabric that you can afford. Watch out for blurred patterns and spotty color. These are the signs of first run fabrics on cheap materials. A new fabric print goes thru several runs before the colors and pattern are right. These first runs are sometimes sold to discount stores and as flat fold. Store and hang all fabric and quilts away from direct sunlight and flourescent lights. Most of all, buy what you like and have fun.

kwhite 08-27-2009 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoyG
Lucky you - great looking fabrics; but I really liked your sewing room. I love the table that your machine is sitting in. Was it something you made or did you special order it? Also is your ironing board just sitting on top of a wooden table or is it attached?

The table was bought with the Janome for it. My ironing table is a childs desk with a peice of ply wood attached that is covered with the batting and silver ironing board fabric.

kwhite 08-27-2009 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by hereca622
Way to go KWhite! That's why I say," Use your GOOD fabric, because his second wife will sell it in a garage sale for .50 a yard.

Fabric buying question: Buy 100% Cotton. Quilt Shop material is softer, brighter and richer in color, because of the materials and dyes used. ($8-$10 yd.) I have purchased at Walmart ($4), Hancocks & JoAnns ($5-7). The fabric is fine for kid quilts, lap quilts, charity quilts, quillows, totes, etc. Buy the best fabric that you can afford. Watch out for blurred patterns and spotty color. These are the signs of first run fabrics on cheap materials. A new fabric print goes thru several runs before the colors and pattern are right. These first runs are sometimes sold to discount stores and as flat fold. Store and hang all fabric and quilts away from direct sunlight and flourescent lights. Most of all, buy what you like and have fun.

LOL I am the second wife. (and third) I married him twice.

brewsa 08-28-2009 05:57 PM

Wow! What luck! Are you going to sell any of it? I love the 70's quilt. It reminds me of when I was a teen-ager.

Sharon

kwhite 08-28-2009 06:11 PM

Me too brewsa, but I am not sure it is such a good thing. LOL I may be willing to sell it. Depends on the offer I get I suppose.

kd124 08-28-2009 06:53 PM

Awesome find. I have made some good deals at yard sales, but none were this good. That yellow with the little red flowers looks like some I have. I bought mine many years ago. Congrats on the find.

pennyswings 08-30-2009 03:14 PM

you really cleaned up on that sale. WTG Girl!!!