Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need help with the border on this quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-border-quilt-t92404.html)

irishrose 01-21-2011 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd use a dark brown 1" wide frame to contain all that lovely color, then a 4.5 inch border of your favorite brown from the quilt. Trying to border it in the light blue would wash it out, IMO.

I was going say to say a quiet print for the wide one, but I used a huge print and a coral binding for my busy Fandango quilt and it was wonderful. Yes, I did use a brown first sashing to contain the colors. I hate to post a picture - it looks pink when it is coral. I didn't get a finished picture. I'll have to have my daughter take one.

pjaco 01-21-2011 06:55 AM

That's what I do, just "audition" the different colors on the side until you find what you like. I'm thinking it doesn't need one, I think it is pretty the way it is. Just bind in.

Originally Posted by Laura3
I love the colors in your quilt! The different browns are so beautiful. I love working with all the browns and pinks that are available. I am not very good with border choices, but usually what I do is put it on the floor and lay different fabrics along each side. No matter what the choice is for the border I like a small dark border first to frame the quilt and then decide on the border.

Good Luck...this is a beautiful quilt!

pjaco 01-21-2011 06:57 AM

So Pretty.

Originally Posted by irishrose
I'd use a dark brown 1" wide frame to contain all that lovely color, then a 4.5 inch border of your favorite brown from the quilt. Trying to border it in the light blue would wash it out, IMO.

I was going say to say a quiet print for the wide one, but I used a huge print and a coral binding for my busy Fandango quilt and it was wonderful. Yes, I did use a brown first sashing to contain the colors. I hate to post a picture - it looks pink when it is coral. I didn't get a finished picture. I'll have to have my daughter take one.

sewwhat85 01-21-2011 08:53 AM

what a beautiful quilt

MarySews 01-21-2011 12:15 PM

I have used (with similar colors) a chocolate brown by Benartex designed by susan winget(from the selvedge) When I went to get more of it we could not find it, the shop owner finally found it with her Christmas fabrics --it looks like frost on the window. I had various greens, reds and beige plus browns and it worked well. It was chosen by someone else for a gift quilt -- I never would have thought of it.

twixbar 01-21-2011 03:17 PM

It is so beautiful, but I am a beginner and would not know what to suggest.

pjustice63 01-21-2011 03:53 PM

Any of the browns would work as long as the pattern is small. Or, use solid brown, then you might be able to use one of the other fabrics for a wider outside border.
Definitely dark solid or small pattern for the first border though.

chermitch 01-21-2011 04:03 PM

I like the brown polka dot material for the inner border and a darker brown for the outer border would be pretty!!!

chermitch 01-21-2011 04:07 PM

What about the brown polka dot material for the inner border and a darker brown for the outer border?

Iluv2quilt 01-21-2011 04:13 PM

I also think a plain border will finish this one up nicely, possibly a dark rich chocolate brown. It is very pretty!