Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Orca bay mystery picture thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/orca-bay-mystery-picture-thread-t168881.html)

JeanieG 12-30-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by bookworm (Post 4825383)
Crabs?

An earlier measuring error came back to bite me. EVERY bottom white point was lost. After a long and bitter (ok short and sweet) conversation with myself I decided that since it happened in every one it looks intentional. Besides there are no quilt police here :)

Sorry Bonnie.

No one but you will know it is not suppose to be that way! It will look just fine when you are done! Great colors!

brookemarie19 12-31-2011 06:33 AM

sammy... those are beautiful. I like the extra color you added. Gives it even more character lol. This is the layout I was thinking would be possible. We will have to wait until tomorrow to be sure though (but I still have a long way to go for this one lol)

In the woods 12-31-2011 08:53 AM

I must be losing it. I cut my red string squares to measure 5.5 inches and then cut diagonally. That gives me a 7 7/8" side. When I sew on the two black and neutral triangles, I have a rectangle which measures 7" after removing the dog legs. How in the world can I get a 6 1/2" side? I just noticed there is another cut on the red triangles, but the instructions are only for the Companion Angle. How can I do that cut without the companion angle? And why in the world did we start with a 5.5 inch square if we're going to keep cutting off fabric?

Emma S 12-31-2011 08:54 AM

Sammy, love your layout. What a great quilt!
Still hope to catch up more today. I have 95 left to do in step #5, shouldn't take me very long. Then on to six, which I have really been looking forward to since that is the first step that really starts putting thing together.

yayaquilts 12-31-2011 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sammygirlqt: love how all your parts are put together--very pretty--that is the layout I am thinking may be "the one!" I don't have enough done to do that as yet. Still sewing along on my string blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299111[/ATTACH]
I have both sizes and colors to finish sewing--then I will need to square them up!!!Here's a pic of my red-burgandy-purple strings.I'm about halfway done sewing these.

Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone!

bookworm 12-31-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by In the woods (Post 4827353)
I must be losing it. I cut my red string squares to measure 5.5 inches and then cut diagonally. That gives me a 7 7/8" side. When I sew on the two black and neutral triangles, I have a rectangle which measures 7" after removing the dog legs. How in the world can I get a 6 1/2" side? I just noticed there is another cut on the red triangles, but the instructions are only for the Companion Angle. How can I do that cut without the companion angle? And why in the world did we start with a 5.5 inch square if we're going to keep cutting off fabric?

Mine are the same way. I'm holding off till the next clue to see how it fits together. I suspect that that's the finished size... I could be wrong though

sammygirlqt 12-31-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by In the woods (Post 4827353)

You can cut your 5.5 inch squares down to 5 1/8" and then cut the diagonal. This is what I did because I found it easier than trimming a scant off of triangles. I have done so much scant trimming on this quilt but it does pay off in the end. Your blocks go together so much easier when everything is the right size. I am quite sure my layout is not the final result because there wouldn't be enough blue squares but it is fun to play.

In the woods 12-31-2011 09:59 AM

OK...I went back and read ALL the directions;)... now that my 5.5 inch squares are already cut diagonally, it will be a little difficult, but not impossible to get the 5 1/8" measurement. Thanks for the help. If I ever get all the wing triangles done, then I can attach them to my newly cut red string triangles.

Caroline S 01-02-2012 12:21 PM

Just finished my RED string blocks

2 Attachment(s)
AT last! Have not sliced the squares yet. Now I am on to part 5, the great 700 black triangles.

Picture 1 are my blocks, picture 2 if of this morning's sunrise. Colors seem to coordinate very well.

COYOTEMAGIC 01-02-2012 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4834922)
AT last! Have not sliced the squares yet. Now I am on to part 5, the great 700 black triangles.

Picture 1 are my blocks, picture 2 if of this morning's sunrise. Colors seem to coordinate very well.

I'm not a big fan of Red but those are beautiful!!! So is the sunrise! :thumbup: