Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   PEACE BY PIECE QUILTING CLUB AT MY HIGH SCHOOL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/peace-piece-quilting-club-my-high-school-t76341.html)

tellabella 11-14-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
As a teacher I thank you for what you are doing!! It is such an important thing. It instills confidence in these children and gives them a chance to reach out to the community. Do they ever get the chance to go with you when you donate the projects? I'm sure they would find that so satisfying and would inspire them to do even more!

One of the classes I taught for about 3 years at a small private school made a variety of items for charity. We called the calss "Service Projects." It was an elective. The last year I taught the class my students (three girls -- one was there only one day each week) made 200 small quilts that were donated to pregnancy centers, nursing homes, etc. No, I didn't make a typo. They really did make 200 quilts!!! They set themselves a goal of 200 for the year. They simply cut out two panels of fabric, sandwiched them together, stitched around the edges leaving an opening, and then turned them right side out. They would spend one or two days simply cutting out the quilts. They had quite the little assembly line going! Lots of babies, toddlers and seniors received those quilts, and I'm sure they really appreciated them. The girls felt so honored to be able to make them.

Keep up the good work! Your students are amazing! :thumbup:

Wow!...200..I have to speed things up this year so I am going to make kits and make bigger blocks, or just panels for some of them like you said..so we can produce more...and I like the idea of turning inside out because now my sister and I add the bindings, ...we cheat and bind with the excess backing, but it still takes long..I want to eliminate this step ...students will come with us this year when we deliver around Christmas hopefully...

Mousie 11-14-2010 12:50 PM

what a happy thread! I love soft and comfy things and teaching is awesome isn't it? I have a little 7 year old sponge (dgd) that makes me smile too. Thanks for sharing!

Bobbielinks 11-14-2010 12:51 PM

Wonderful!! This is the best news I have read today. Thank you for all the time you are spending with these children. May you be blessed as the children will be blessed. And is that a Crucifix on the wall? I wish we were allowed to hang one in our schools.

tellabella 11-14-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
Wonderful!! This is the best news I have read today. Thank you for all the time you are spending with these children. May you be blessed as the children will be blessed. And is that a Crucifix on the wall? I wish we were allowed to hang one in our schools.

Yes, we are a Catholic school...there is a Crucifix in every classroom, office, etc...we have Mass as a school and morning prayers over the PA...

Magdalena 11-14-2010 01:21 PM

Look at those faces! Wonderful program - Thank you for what you are doing.

tellabella 11-14-2010 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbugs
It's so good to see some sewing being done in a school! I think that's something that has gone by the wayside, which is really sad.

And now their moms will be able be to say, "Do it yourself!" when the kid needs a button sewn on or a seam repaired. :O) It's a win/win situation. :O)

Yes, one has already learned how to repair a torn pocket...

dsb38327 11-14-2010 01:26 PM

What you are and have done is such a blessing. Love those smiling faces. Warms my heart and this post has given me smiles and lots of pleasure.

Darlene 11-14-2010 01:49 PM

They all look so proud as they should.

quilter2 11-14-2010 03:58 PM

I think this is great, thank you for sharing the Peace By Piece Quilting Club with us.

Minister 11-14-2010 04:38 PM

Great job with the kids! May God Bless all of you. I also like the idea of turning the quilt inside out. Got to try that one!