Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Picture Thread for Rhonda's Block Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/picture-thread-rhondas-block-swap-t104333.html)

mom-6 03-04-2011 04:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jupiter - here are pictures of the fabrics I'm thinking of using and of the one that I found that has all your colors in it.

this is the fabrics for the block except caramel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157624[/ATTACH]

this is the fabric with all your colors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157625[/ATTACH]

dream56 03-04-2011 05:17 AM

Great match mom-6

Rhonda 03-04-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by dream56
Great match mom-6

The only concern I would have with the last pic is will this one retain any pattern when you put it in the "Block"? You are working with a 2 1/2" template which will then be seperated into sections within the Block. By the time you have the fabrics sewn together in the one Block you will only have a small section of each fabric showing. You may end up with some Blocks only showing a solid color instead of a pattern when you work with something which such a large print.
Actually the dark chocolate one is the one that might be a problem. Not to interfere but just to give you something to think about. I do realize bits and pieces in a whole will show the pattern overall. But if you end up with nothing but solids for a fabric you need to be aware you may lose your pattern unless you fussy cut it.

marcias 03-04-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by OraLee
Marcias, Where did you get the butterfly material? I just love it. Haven't seen anything like that in Florida.

OraLee, I bought this fabric bak in the 90s (that's 1990s, not 1890s) and can't remember where I bought it. I have slept way too many times since then. Oops, I stand corrected, This is Chester Field Alley Collection 2000 Design by Auntie Nan for Fabrics by Spectrix

OraLee 03-04-2011 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info on the material. Will see if anyone might still have some where.

mom-6 03-04-2011 06:43 PM

Rhonda - The big tropical print is one I was showing Jupiter because it did have all her colors in it and thought she might want to consider it as a possibility for backing her finished quilt as there are about 8 yds on the bolt of it that I have.

I hadn't figured out a way to successfully fussy cut it to focus on any particular color (except the chocolate which she's not featuring). So I'm still looking for something with the caramel color in it. The two pieces I have that come close colorwise are not suitable (sorta silky home decor fabrics) so still searching. Guess I'll just 'hafta go shoppin'.

Rhonda 03-04-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Rhonda - The big tropical print is one I was showing Jupiter because it did have all her colors in it and thought she might want to consider it as a possibility for backing her finished quilt as there are about 8 yds on the bolt of it that I have.

I hadn't figured out a way to successfully fussy cut it to focus on any particular color (except the chocolate which she's not featuring). So I'm still looking for something with the caramel color in it. The two pieces I have that come close colorwise are not suitable (sorta silky home decor fabrics) so still searching. Guess I'll just 'hafta go shoppin'.

Didn't mean to interfere but I just wanted to point out something most don't think about. The pattern can get lost when cut down.

I am sure you will all make wonderful quilt blocks and quilts.

Jupiter 03-05-2011 09:35 AM

Hi Mikki,

The fabric is a Robert Kaufman print. I found the link for it.

http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics...ng_collections

I hope you find some. In real life, my photo shows the colors better than the www. link. Their photo looks drab compared to what it really is.

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by edensgaite

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Thanks, Rhonda, for giving us a place to share photos. This is my inspiration fabric. I don't have enough of it to use for sashing, but I like the way these colors play and hope my partners will use them for my blocks.

I'm totally loving this fabric...where can I get it?
Do you have a name or designer?
Thanks,
Mikki

Jupiter 03-06-2011 12:44 AM

Hi Mom-6,

Those are all nice colors. Thanks for showing me the backing fabric. I don't think it is quite what I want to use. I am more of a small print or geometric pattern kind of person.

I am ready to begin on a block for you.

Originally Posted by mom-6
Jupiter - here are pictures of the fabrics I'm thinking of using and of the one that I found that has all your colors in it.

OraLee 03-06-2011 09:59 AM

Rhonda, Does it matter what color we make the block in? Did we already get a partner? I am having a senior moment.