Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Please I need your help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/please-i-need-your-help-t218336.html)

coastienest 04-05-2013 01:14 PM

Please I need your help

1 Attachment(s)
As President of our guild, I was given a block by nearly each member of our guild which will then be quilted by one of our members, thus having a nice quilt in the end. They are stars of many kinds using colors of purple and green on a cream background. They are 8 1/2 inch blocks. We will be adding a block that explains the quilt and making another star to have a total of 42. I am using 7 across and 6 rows down. I am having a terrible time trying to figure out how to put it together using sashing or sashings, borders etc. What color, how wide, how many, you see where I'm going with this, right? I need your help. What would you do?

I have taken this picture but it tends to be a little light. I have the blocks pinned to an old sheet for now just making it easier for me to know what block was where. Now that I took a picture I'll use that for block placement when I get started. Thanks a bunch for any help you can give me.

sak658 04-05-2013 01:22 PM

I love the blocks...I would either put a sashing with darker purple or a shade of green..and repeat with small border of purple or green then a wider border with the other color...I would use no bigger than a 1-1/2" sashings.. Good Luck...

wolph33 04-05-2013 01:31 PM

I think a narrow sashing would make the blocks stand out more.

Maggie_Sue 04-05-2013 01:38 PM

I agree with the suggestion of small sashing.

quilter2theend 04-05-2013 01:39 PM

When I look at it, I think black sashing on some blocks and a dark purple with a pattern in it for other blocks and alternate them. The black sashing could have a small pattern in it too (maybe like a batik)

thimblebug6000 04-05-2013 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Usually when you receive blocks the sizes may vary slightly. How about you alternate borders around each block, one purple and the next green. Then you can trim the blocks all to the same size and the borders will act as sashing. I made a scrappy like this and really liked the way it turned out.
Here's a picture of it to give you an idea of what I'm describing, although your quilt would look so much more elegant. [ATTACH=CONFIG]406405[/ATTACH]

Tartan 04-05-2013 02:37 PM

Great quilt Thimblebug and green and purple would look great!

katier825 04-05-2013 03:05 PM

Pretty blocks! Purple or green would look nice...I'd probably go with a mid-tone, not too dark. I think I'd go wider than the border on the one in the bottom row. You could also do one color for sashing, another for cornerstones. The post that has the alternating borders is nice too.

I'm a border lover...I usually have at least an inner and outer border on mine. I like how it frames it up...like matting and frame enhance a piece of art or photo.

omacookie 04-05-2013 03:12 PM

Yes sashinh each block a\with a medium purple and the wider of purple and green all around. On the back I would use a light lavender small print... Love it. Hugs

QUILTNMO 04-05-2013 03:14 PM

i agree a sashing would be great!!!