Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please I need your help

Please I need your help

As President of our guild, I was given a block by nearly each member of our guild which will then be quilted by one of our members, thus having a nice quilt in the end. They are stars of many kinds using colors of purple and green on a cream background. They are 8 1/2 inch blocks. We will be adding a block that explains the quilt and making another star to have a total of 42. I am using 7 across and 6 rows down. I am having a terrible time trying to figure out how to put it together using sashing or sashings, borders etc. What color, how wide, how many, you see where I'm going with this, right? I need your help. What would you do?

I have taken this picture but it tends to be a little light. I have the blocks pinned to an old sheet for now just making it easier for me to know what block was where. Now that I took a picture I'll use that for block placement when I get started. Thanks a bunch for any help you can give me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything in life happens for a reason.

Blog Entries
    I love the blocks...I would either put a sashing with darker purple or a shade of green..and repeat with small border of purple or green then a wider border with the other color...I would use no bigger than a 1-1/2" sashings.. Good Luck...

I think a narrow sashing would make the blocks stand out more.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I agree with the suggestion of small sashing.

When I look at it, I think black sashing on some blocks and a dark purple with a pattern in it for other blocks and alternate them. The black sashing could have a small pattern in it too (maybe like a batik)

Usually when you receive blocks the sizes may vary slightly. How about you alternate borders around each block, one purple and the next green. Then you can trim the blocks all to the same size and the borders will act as sashing. I made a scrappy like this and really liked the way it turned out.
    Here's a picture of it to give you an idea of what I'm describing, although your quilt would look so much more elegant. Name:  2 inch scrap finished.jpg
Views: 3662
Size:  1.01 MB
    Last edited by thimblebug6000; 04-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Power Poster
    Great quilt Thimblebug and green and purple would look great!

Blog Entries
    Pretty blocks! Purple or green would look nice...I'd probably go with a mid-tone, not too dark. I think I'd go wider than the border on the one in the bottom row. You could also do one color for sashing, another for cornerstones. The post that has the alternating borders is nice too.

I'm a border lover...I usually have at least an inner and outer border on mine. I like how it frames it up...like matting and frame enhance a piece of art or photo.

Yes sashinh each block a\with a medium purple and the wider of purple and green all around. On the back I would use a light lavender small print... Love it. Hugs

Power Poster
    i agree a sashing would be great!!!
    QUILTNMO

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I think a dark purple sashing would look nice.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    looks great so far
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    purple or black 1.5 inch sashings. on point would also set them off. lucky you.

Great job. I agree with alternating borders.

Blog Entries
    very nice

thiblebug6000 has a wonderful idea. I'm going to share this info with our quilting group. We have a block of the month drawing. The border is a perfect solution to the squares not all being the same.

I think I would try putting the reddish purple blocks more concentrated in the center - though I don't mean to mess with your initial layout. Slightly darker purple or green sashing - and I love tb6000's idea for squaring up. How about more reddish purple for cornerstones? You have such great blocks to work with!

Blog Entries
    oh yes to the sashing, I would go for either purple with green cornerstones, or visa versa, and use the darkest color in the quilt for the out side border and binding to frame it, (like a picture frame does a picture) very nice blocks!
    dare to dream

Thank you everyone. Your ideas are great. I do like the idea of the 2 different colors bordering the blocks and squaring things up. I did consider a black sashing, laid one out but it was just too much. I knew I wanted to go either purple or green but just didn't know how much or how dark. I think I am going to use batiks in those colors, thinking it will pull everything together. cwessel47 I have changed those blocks probably 5 times since I posted that picture and do like the more reddish ones toward the center. Cornerstones I need to think about. It just seems that every time I use them, I am not really happy with them. Maybe this time it will work for me. I'm sure I'll be changing my mind every time I look at it for the next week. I need to get it done all ready tough because I would like to have it ready for our quilt show in June. Thanks again everyone for your help. Everyone still reading, please give me your opinions. It is not written in stone yet, other than I'd like the sashing in batiks. Great help, thanks

So any good ideas, but I think my favorite is the idea in the photo by thimblebug. It would solve a couple of problems and frame each of the stars. The blocks are very pretty and almost anything would be fantastic. Don't forget to post a photo of the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    I think a pretty lilac sashing would work well. And, I think I would arrange blocks a little bit differently putting the larger ones in the Center row to kinda balance it out. Good luck with it. Please post when finished.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I agree with sak658.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I think shashing would be really nice.

Well someone loves the latest arrangement
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would sash with green, put blocks on point, purple setting triangles and then small green inner border and bigger purple border. Just my idea to make this "sing!" Can't wait to see this finished!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast