Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Really could use your help on this one.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/really-could-use-your-help-one-t82164.html)

wildyard 12-13-2010 02:33 PM

I can't imagine hating it, it's so pretty. LOL, oh well, guess that accounts for different tastes.

Quiltforme 12-13-2010 03:27 PM

I guess hate is a strong word like she said she named it "What did I do to deserve this" (it is our joke she really did like it but the backing was this weird material I would have never picked and it was cold did not keep her warm) I have to agree none of the lines match up and well I was just not happy with it. It was for my mom and well I could do better right?? I am going to keep the colors and add maybe the attic window to it to give it some depth and show off the squares better!

KellyK 12-13-2010 03:40 PM

I really like it. I'm a bit surprised, because I don't usually like yellow and I am a very color oriented person, but I think that it looks like it was designed with a "modern" feel on purpose. Something about the way the colors appear to me, the yellows seem to draw the eye both vertically and horizontally and the other fabrics add a lot of interest. I agree with most everyone else, don't change it, add some black as a border. I'm not sure how piano keys or more squares would alter the feel of it, but I'll be ambitious on your behalf and say prarie points of colorful scraps!

Quiltforme 12-17-2010 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the end result thank you all for helping out with ideas!! I am sure she will love this just as much as I do!

SewExtremeSeams 12-18-2010 05:47 AM

OK, now this looks great also Jade. Actually, it looks completely different from your first photo.

Would you mind sharing how you changed this out? It seems like you must have taken your quilt completely apart. The important thing is if you and your Mom are happy with the new results. I know you wanted to honor her by doing your best. You are a wonderful daughter to care about your Mom so much!

wildyard 12-18-2010 07:22 AM

WOW!!! That surely is a completely different quilt from the original. What a lot of love and work you have put into effecting this change!!
I must admit to a pang of sadness on seeing the original bright beautiful quilt go away tho. I really did love it.
You are a generous and loving daughter to care so much that your mother be happy!! Hugs and smiles.

Quiltforme 12-18-2010 06:45 PM

I liked the first quilt the sewing was awfull and I felt I could have done better. My mom gave me the quilt to redo it. This is what I did...

I took the original quilt apart. Thankfully I had not FMQ the first one! Then after unsewing it I realized that all of the blocks were different sizes so I had to recut them all to 5". Everyone suggested black to go with it and I loved the sashing idea but wanted something more so I decided with my Avatar to make the mirror pinwheel. I gathered up the matching blocks and sewed 2 of the same with 2 black blocks and the rest is in my tutorial :) I LOVE this quilt and will hate to see it go but my mom will Love it and hopefully rename it :)

SewExtremeSeams 12-19-2010 11:37 AM

Thanks Jade.