Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Scrappy star using dryer sheets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/scrappy-star-using-dryer-sheets-t262809.html)

vicki reno 03-18-2015 02:26 PM

Glad the dryer sheets worked out for you. I used some when I was making a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. Worked like a charm and kept them out of the landfill.

ube quilting 03-18-2015 02:30 PM

Oh, Spartan, I love the way it finished. The scrappy diamonds are so perfect with the yellow centers. They flow into each other and my eye just roams around the top, seeing all the great fabrics. Some look like tumbling blocks and others have a twist like a winding road. I enjoy looking at this beauty. You have something fabulous here. Love, love love it!:D
peace

just_the_scraps_m'am 03-18-2015 02:38 PM

interesting pattern -- where was your inspiration for that pattern? don't think i have seen that particular one before? i've seen other scrappies similar....but the positioning of the scraps is different...

Lady Jane 03-18-2015 03:20 PM

That turned out great !

ube quilting 03-18-2015 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am (Post 7132349)
interesting pattern -- where was your inspiration for that pattern? don't think i have seen that particular one before? i've seen other scrappies similar....but the positioning of the scraps is different...

This would be a Spider Web pattern if you worked the strips only to the point of the kite and turn the points to set
north-south-east -west. This pattern has the strips extended so the star floats and does not connect to the other stars. A neat variation.

Am I seeing it as an altered state of spider web,or not?:D
peace

lynnie 03-18-2015 04:28 PM

wow, your quilt came out great!

FabStripper 03-18-2015 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter (Post 7132258)
I didnt pp, I squared the dryer sheet, used water soluble glue stick, to attach star in corner and just sewed narrow strips at random. That way when I sewed the blocks together I didn't have all the seams at the same places. The yellow piece is shaped like a kite

What a great idea.

spartan quilter 03-18-2015 05:21 PM

I can't really say where the idea came from. I had the kite idea, probably from the periwinkle pattern, but all these strips of scraps, so I just started playing with 2 blocks and liked how they came out. Problem is that I still have a lot of scraps left. Must dream up something else now. Thanks to all for the great comments

Mariposa 03-18-2015 05:25 PM

The yellow is a great background color. Nice work!

roguequilter 03-18-2015 07:38 PM

your quilt is fabulous!!! i am so glad that you continued on and finished it. i didn't comment on your post about dryer sheets, tho i have used them for years. i put them in a mesh laundry bag and launder on gentle, press flat and use. after washing, the smell almost gone, then wash quilt...no smell.