Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Passed on to me... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-machine-passed-me-t157192.html)

mhollifiel 10-02-2011 06:28 AM

This is a GREAT machine. Mama had one, I had it but gave it to a friend who had made a set of drapes with a needle and thread because she had no sewing machine. Mama would have wanted her to have it. I don't miss it because I know it is being used and I have three great machines to use.
(As I recall, this machine cost about $500 back when that was REAL money, early '60s.)

luvstoquilt 10-02-2011 06:45 AM

WOW..so nice for you. Have fun sewing on this little special machine

fluffygirl 10-02-2011 07:48 AM

It is so nice to have a machine passed down to you. I have one of my Grandmother's machines too. It is extra special.

Your 503 is very nice. I have one and also the 500. They are really fun to sew on.

Pat

BarbaraSue 10-02-2011 08:12 AM

congratulations. you'll make beautiful quilts together!:)

KarenS 10-02-2011 09:11 AM

I just recently purchased a 503 off Craigslist for $100. Mine is in a cabinet with 3 drawers, has a buttonholer, zigzagger, and many cams and feet. I love it! I cleaned it and oiled it myself, but am not sure if I did a good job or not. It seems to be a little noisier than I thought it would be.

miriam 10-02-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by KarenS
I just recently purchased a 503 off Craigslist for $100. Mine is in a cabinet with 3 drawers, has a buttonholer, zigzagger, and many cams and feet. I love it! I cleaned it and oiled it myself, but am not sure if I did a good job or not. It seems to be a little noisier than I thought it would be.

Some of them are noisy - may need the motor overhauled. I do them myself but you can pull the motor and take it to a motor shop and have them overhaul it.

girliegirl 10-02-2011 09:25 AM

it is under neath on the side............

frugalfabrics 10-02-2011 10:13 AM

thanks all - found the serial #. It's so nice to know that I have something "special" to remember my grandma by.

She gave me my first sewing machine when my daughter was 2 years old. I was making a halloween costume for my daughter and I went over to my mother's house to use her machine ... well when my grandma heard about my renewed interest in sewing, she called me to her house and gave me a brand new machine. She said she bought the machine years before and had planned to give it to her first grandchild that took an interest in sewing....well that was me!

Annaquilts 10-02-2011 10:25 AM

Wooohoooo! That is a great one. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
found it - thanks!

It's a 503 Slant-O-Matic. I've got all the manuals, attachments, cams. So excited.

I'm remodeling my sewing room right now, so I'll make a spot for it during the remodel.

overdew 10-02-2011 12:56 PM

My home-ec. teacher could do monograms and beautiful embroidery on pillowcases with this machine. She did not let us young kids use it. Later I got to use one and I think the thread just dances through them--beautiful stitches!