Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sick about this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sick-about-t38795.html)

grammypatty7 03-10-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I got this quilt out to look it over, considering blocking and binding, etc. and I noticed something. Look at the dark inner border around the center star. When I made it the width of that border had to be pretty exact so that the next row of blocks fit correctly. I drew the line that the row of blocks had to line up with for sewing.

I had gone over and over this top before deciding that I was ready to send it off for quilting and I never realized that I hadn't trimmed the dark border fabric. Now it shows underneath the lighter fabric.

The quilt guild and chapter I belong to have been attending these issues and recently brought in 2 judges to address our monthly meetings and they did slide show presentations and a trunk show of their award winning quilts. What they did was point out all of the faults in those quilts that should have kept them out of being entered into a juried show yet they all placed. Those faults did not prevent them from placing so they told us that although we do know the basic guilt show guidelines, we don't know the judges so that if we have what we consider to be a beautiful quilt, faults and all, we should still go ahead and enter them. The worst thing is they would be on display and not place. Your quilt is stunning and I do feel you should enter your quilt and see how it does. We all make mistakes. I'm surprised the quilter didn't give you a heads up so you could have fixed that. good luck. Enjoy your gorgeous quilt.
Patty

I believe that may be totally unacceptable and maybe I should forget about entering this quilt in any shows.

Please... honest opinions? Is that a show stopper? Should I just be happy with the wonderful quilt it is and forget about showing it?

JUNEC 03-10-2010 03:31 PM

I can see what you are talking about - but GOSH, it is just beautiful.
June

zz-pd 03-10-2010 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I got this quilt out to look it over, considering blocking and binding, etc. and I noticed something. Look at the dark inner border around the center star. When I made it the width of that border had to be pretty exact so that the next row of blocks fit correctly. I drew the line that the row of blocks had to line up with for sewing.

I had gone over and over this top before deciding that I was ready to send it off for quilting and I never realized that I hadn't trimmed the dark border fabric. Now it shows underneath the lighter fabric.

I believe that may be totally unacceptable and maybe I should forget about entering this quilt in any shows.

Please... honest opinions? Is that a show stopper? Should I just be happy with the wonderful quilt it is and forget about showing it?

I am sorry I just have to replie again every inch of that is so stunningly beautiful, the pieceing,the color,and the quilting. I could sit here all day and never get tired of looking at it. Penny

Sheree from Chicago 03-10-2010 11:45 PM

It is a stunning quilt!

sadie's baby 03-12-2010 05:51 PM

I'm still very new to this forum. I'm curious though, do these infamous judges subscribe to these sites, and if so, haven't you already shown your hand?

Also, isn't it traditional to have one imperfection in your handwork on purpose, out of respect to the Perfect Creator ;) (Personally, I never have to make a "mistake" on purpose; there are plenty anyway.)

Your daughter is a very lucky girl.

pittsburgpam 03-12-2010 06:03 PM

I guess I will just leave it as it is so there is nothing to "hide". Doesn't matter if anyone sees it.

No, I don't have to try and make mistakes, I almost always do.

shopbelt 03-12-2010 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Years ago I entered this doll in a county fair. She wasn't perfect either and I was told she would never place because I chose the wrong wig... etc. What Ever! - long story short, she won best in category and best in show.

You just never know!

Pouty
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6801[/ATTACH]

pittsburgpam 03-12-2010 06:21 PM

That's a beautiful doll! There's nothing at all "wrong" with her hair! I guess it does show that people who are supposed experts don't know everything. ;)

sadie's baby 03-12-2010 06:32 PM

By the way Pam, I hope what I wrote didn't seem rude, but I'm deeply sorry if it did. Sometimes things sound witty in my head, but not when they come out. I feel lucky just to have seen this quilt in photos. It's what inspired me to join the site!

pittsburgpam 03-12-2010 07:24 PM

No, I didn't think it was rude at all. I too have thought that lots of others have seen the quilt, here, on blogs, and even on MQ Resources.

It's ok with me and makes me happy that people like it. I used to joke that it was my signature to make a mistake in every single quilt. I have done ones so absolutely carefully to NOT make a mistake and I STILL do! Sometimes not noticing until it's done.