Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Someone's buying this--is it quilted enough? What price???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/someones-buying-quilted-enough-what-price-t6566.html)

tlrnhi 04-27-2008 11:39 AM

YOU WROTE A BOOK????

patricej 04-27-2008 11:44 AM

next time somebody offers a price that makes you want to gasp in guilt ... keep your gasp a silent one and ACCEPT. it isn't in any way wrong. it's business. :wink:

barnbum 04-27-2008 12:10 PM

Patrice--you always have very good advice. :D

I was thinking today that the Talk-About Quilt I had/have for sale went for $120. My quilter told me not a penny under $100. And this piece is bigger. Live and learn. But I can tell her YOU gals told me not a penny under a $100. :wink:

Terri--how many times have you been to my website, woman?? Look at the last page.... And it's sort of in my signature.

Lucky Patsy's 04-27-2008 09:35 PM

That is lovely, Barnbum! Now me, I am always for more quilting!( Especially if somone else is doing it!) How big is the piece? It is hard to tell in the pic.

tlrnhi 04-27-2008 09:47 PM

Ok, I FINALLY got past the pictures of the horses!
I keep stopping at that page.
So, you wrote a book! COOL!
Now I'm going to have to go find it in the store. Probably not here, since the book store we have sucks! I was in the "Craft" section and all they had was a book on knitting. UGH! Looking in the magazine section for quilting mags,... nope, none!

barnbum 04-28-2008 03:19 AM

Lucky--it's 40"x40". I aded more quilting from that photo. I sewed the binding on last night--just have to hand part to go. I'm taking it to school to show the person who wants it--and see if she still does. :-) I'll say $85. But if I make more for the craft sale I'll make them $100. :wink:

patricej 04-28-2008 04:24 AM

if she offered $100, and you have not already said $85, then let her pay you $100. tell her you made a point to add the right amount of quilting to make it worth her offer. that is the absolute truth so you need not feel as though you're doing anything unethical.

another truth is that she sees value in your work that you have not yet allowed yourself to see.

if you have already quoted $85, then of course you must stick to it. a deal is a deal.

beachlady 04-28-2008 04:55 AM

Such a nice table topper and reversible - maybe it should be $200 since they can use either side. LOL I still don't see how you get so much done. Amazing lady!!

barnbum 04-28-2008 01:24 PM

Well--this is how it went. I showed her the quilt this morning--the binding is on but needs to be sewed onto the back. She LOVED the back fabric--seems her mother-in-law loves sunflowers. Soooo, I told her I asked on the forum what price was appropriate--and was told $75-$185, but I thought $85 was fine.

She said.... "Is $75 okay because I want to keep things even." Seems she bought $75 of stuff for her mom, so this gift can't go over that. :shock:

I was a bit shocked, but said it was fine.

Then she said I must sign it with the date and my name somewhere. Sign a quilt??? :?: :?: I still thing it's werid to sign my books, but a quilt. I guess that's not so bad. :roll:

It kind of bugged me that her need to keep things even was my problem, but when it's a parent of a student(s) I felt it best to be agreeable.

tlrnhi 04-28-2008 01:35 PM

Well, you did sort of leave yourself open with the price, but I think she got a good deal and now you will know for next time, right? Live and learn.
I "sign" all my quilts that I make. It's done in embroidery, but it's signed. Some have just a heart, then my name and year, others have this little cat, then my name and the year.

BTW...Bill (hubby) was looking at your site and I never heard so many "oohs, ahhhs, and oh, so cute" from him before. lol
He's such a softy at times!