Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This is what learning looks like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-learning-looks-like-t303919.html)

KathyE 03-30-2019 05:52 AM

I think you did awesome!

Boston1954 03-30-2019 06:20 AM

Do not be too harsh with yourself. This is ten times better than I could do.

Doggramma 03-30-2019 06:42 AM

That looks great! I have a hard time keeping swirly lines even.

romanojg 03-30-2019 07:22 AM

The first step in anything is to start and you've done that. Now practice makes perfect. Perfect doesn't mean perfect to everyone, just perfect to you. You'll never be perfect to everyone, in anything. Great job at getting started

Teen 03-30-2019 08:05 AM

Wow...this is really good for a newbie. I'm impressed! Your stitch lengths look great. That's a hard part for me...still learning too.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 03-30-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty (Post 8233024)
Your FMQ is progressing and although you might see the oops, others don't or don't care about them. My FMQ is at the scribbling stage, and I struggle with "Why would I want to scribble all over my lovely quilt?". So you are miles ahead of me!

Before I started quilting, I received a quilt from a friend who is an accomplished quilter. I was surprised to discover after I started quilting that this quilt is not perfect. This beautiful quilt is a reminder to me, that everyone is still learning our craft. We need to celebrate our achievements and learn from them.

Hit the nail square on the its head. We expect more of ourselves than others do. No way will I ever be able to do what comes naturally to others but that doesn't prevent me from trying and keep improving on what I can do. You're doing a great job so just keep on truckin'.

MicheleC 03-30-2019 08:50 AM

This thread is also encouraging to me. I think your FMQ looks great! 👍

osewme 03-30-2019 09:12 AM

I love your first FMQ and think you've done a great job. I so want to learn to do it but it seems like (since I don't have a stitch regulator on my machine) every time I try to FMQ the back is Full of eyelashes. I'm having such a hard time remembering to keep the speed of the quilt & speed of the needle consistent. I think that is a big factor in creating those eyelashes. I also have a hard time breathing during the FMQ & also I forget that I can Stop anytime I need to (before I get into a jam that I can't get out of). :D Angela Walters is a good one to go to for tips things like consistency in echoing, etc. Keep up the good work. From the looks of things you will have it mastered in no time.

lblank42 03-30-2019 10:25 AM

I think you're doing great! I would like to try my hand at fmq but I need something small to start on. I'm currently piecing a queen sized bargello and I keep telling myself not to touch anything else thing until I'm done! You did great work for a newbie and I hope I can do as well.

Jojk 03-30-2019 11:28 AM

I breathe but stick my tongue out like a little kid. As for speed, I reduced my speed to half and then maximum pedal. All the back stitching is because I keep getting into places I can't get out of. :-) I figure that's ok, I'll learn to get good at that too.