Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This is what learning looks like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-learning-looks-like-t303919.html)

Jojk 03-30-2019 04:24 AM

This is what learning looks like

2 Attachment(s)
I don't know about you but sometimes I get frustrated when I try my hand at something new and I'm not magically good at it. Especially since I've been quilting for 10 years or so. But I'm a newbie to FMQ and this is what starting at the beginning looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610933[/ATTACH]

As I was going along I decide the first thing I need to master is consistent distance when echoing. Or, for me, keeping my eyes where they need to be instead of staring at the pretty needle. I managed something decent:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610934[/ATTACH]

I take my victories where I can. And as I practice I create mini quilts to donate to the animal shelter.

I'm about 5 hours into the 10,000 hours for mastery. Gotta start somewhere right?

SusieQOH 03-30-2019 04:30 AM

Right! And you're doing a fine job. I'm still working on it. I find it to be very very very different from hand quilting!

Tartan 03-30-2019 04:39 AM

​Looking good! I am loving my machine quilting with rulers on my Bernina. It has a learning curve too but so fun!

quilterpurpledog 03-30-2019 04:45 AM

Your thread is an encouragement as I look at the queen size quilt laying on my sewing table ready to be quilted Today. I want to FMQ.

my-ty 03-30-2019 05:01 AM

Your FMQ is progressing and although you might see the oops, others don't or don't care about them. My FMQ is at the scribbling stage, and I struggle with "Why would I want to scribble all over my lovely quilt?". So you are miles ahead of me!

Before I started quilting, I received a quilt from a friend who is an accomplished quilter. I was surprised to discover after I started quilting that this quilt is not perfect. This beautiful quilt is a reminder to me, that everyone is still learning our craft. We need to celebrate our achievements and learn from them.

QuiltnNan 03-30-2019 05:06 AM

you are doing great

Jojk 03-30-2019 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8233003)
​Looking good! I am loving my machine quilting with rulers on my Bernina. It has a learning curve too but so fun!

I bought some rulers and figured out very quick that I need to learn how to FMQ first. Trying to learn how to move the quilt while holding the rulers to the quilt AND against the ruler foot? Nope. Too much too soon. So the rulers are in my box until I'm more comfortable. :-(

Jojk 03-30-2019 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone. @my-ty - I don't want to "scribble" on my quilts either. That's why I'm doing mini ones that I'll donate. I'm OK to practice but I put in soooo much effort on my quilts, I don't want to "ruin" them.

I too get amazed at how a quilt that looks absolutely perfect and was done by a master, can still have "imperfections" when you look up close. I think we're too used to factory made products and we forget that such "flaws" can actually make something more beautiful.

Quiltah Mama 03-30-2019 05:34 AM

Hey, we all have to start somewhere. I never could master FMQ on my domestic machine, so....:thumbup: to you for keeping at it. Great job.

Jordan 03-30-2019 05:47 AM

I think it looks great and I give you credit for trying something new. I really have no desire to FMQ.